Has anyone used Verizon Wireless broad band?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by dinoman, Mar 11, 2009.

1. dinoman

dinoman

Looking for input on any of those who have used Verizon Wireless broad band internet.

I only have cable internet as an option in my area and got kicked in the teeth today because it dropped.

It dropped before I had a chance to put in my stop. :)

Looking for Pros/Cons from those who have experienced this service.

Looking to get it for a back up, I just picked up my laptop tonight so I don't get caught with my pants down again.

I am not looking to trade off it, just need it as a back-up. Signal is not a problem for I have a tower about 200 yards from my house.

How does it work being on the road too as far as connectivity and bandwith? I was told to expect 120K to 1.5 Mb.

All insight appreciated.

Thanks,

Dinoman

2. Redneck

Redneck

FWIW Sir,

Use it while trading on my Laptop - every time I'm away from home, and also as a backup to the desktop connection when I'm home

Never any issues- and I've used it for a little over a year now

The 5 Gig a month is plenty

eta - Has always kept up (fast enough) including heavy periods (open, ect.) My platform locked up last year but my connection worked

Hope this helps
    Redneck

3. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

I use Verizon Wireless broadband with my laptop while I'm at work.

I use it to dial remotely into my trading computer at home through www.gotomypc.com.

I've used this broadband card for approximately 4 months and haven't had any problems. The internet speed is about 1.5 Mbps.

Depending on your computer I've found that the USB broadband card is the most reliable.

I would suggest picking up a broadband card from the Verizon store, that way you can take it back if you don't like it or it doesn't work with your computer.

4. I used to use them because my Treo phone had a nice bluetooth modem capability, so anytime my laptop was within 10-20 feet of my cellphone, I could use the 3G cellphone data connection, no cables required.

It was very convenient, and less expensive than a dedicated data service at the time, but it was not as fast as installing a wireless card in the laptop.

But the service speed and coverage was plenty good for trading at various cities I visited around the country.

One added benefit was that it eliminated the security risk associated with hotel and other public wi-fi hot spots. You *don't* want to use those to access trading and financial accounts!

5. dinoman

dinoman

Thanks for the replies!

I am not ready to let go of my cable internet. (Although I should)

It sounds like I will try out Verizon's mobile BB though.

With what I lost today could have easily covered 3 years for having that back up.

Thanks again!

Dinoman

6. rcj

rcj

7. mtwokay

mtwokay

I'm using a Verizon USB modem on my desktop right now since AT&T's dsl is being real crappy tonight. This is the first time in two years my dsl has been this bad.

Ok, here are the results from a speedtest.net test on my Verizon Modem:

Download: 1893 kb/s
    Upload: 517 kb/s

Not bad

8. dinoman

dinoman

9. JScott

JScott

I have a Sprint Aircard that I've used quite a bit. Even with Verizon, you won't notice much of a difference compared to cable. I wouldn't trade a high-volume, automated system on it. But for those of us who are entering order manually, the network latency is immaterial.

10. rcj

rcj

No problem, Dino. I think that within the yr aircard type devices
    are going to get even better latency. And im hoping there is going to be some way to hook into a router.
    cheers,
    rj

#10     Mar 12, 2009