has anyone use a trading psychologist?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by 1a2b3cppp, Oct 26, 2020.

1. nursebee

nursebee

Did going through that help your life and/or your trading?

#11     Oct 27, 2020
  2. nursebee

nursebee

No psych for me. Read the books. I considered Van THarp as he had an office within driving distance. I allowed my trading failures to teach me and adapted (mostly to longer time frames). Van Tharp seemed expensive and geared towards highly active traders.

"Everyone gets what they want out of trading" is an interesting quote to ponder. I think people fail with their goal setting, have things too general. For me, specificity begat proper and better methods.

Set goal.
    Plan how to achieve goal.
    Do those things
    Evaluate- for me that was leaning into failure.
    Adapt.

#12     Oct 27, 2020
  3. Peter8519

Peter8519

Not a trading shrink I hope. Mark Douglas's Trading in the Zone discussed about our belief e.g. children belief in Santa Claus but not adult and nightmare is so real. Yes, the power of the subconscious. This is the main reason that method from others seldom work. Some suggest meditation and swear by it. Ray Dalio's being hyperralistic i.e. controlling our subconscious mind. I listen to subliminal positive reinforcement once awhile.

#13     Oct 27, 2020
    CDoubleUU and jl1575 like this.
  4. danielc1

danielc1

Yes, big time.

#14     Oct 27, 2020
  5. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Although I don't offer trader psychology coaching, I could (my UCLA degree is psychology and I have a master's degree MSIO from CSULB).

Having trained thousands since 1999, I can say:

• your mindset is critical to success
    • Lack of discipline and rules based trading plans causes failure
    • Your values and beliefs drive your trading habits and actions
    • It's helpful to develop a highly focused approach using specific setups and defined risk
    • You've got to believe in yourself

#15     Oct 27, 2020
  6. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

I listened to a few of his teachings, and although he is a good speaker, he never goes in depth about the process it takes to to get your mind ready for trading. The only thing he ever talks about is examples and the importance of having a solid mind in trading, and that's it. There is really no helpful useful information that he has to offer other than encouragement. I suggest watching one of his teachings but don't dig into anything else he offers

#16     Oct 27, 2020
    Peter8519 likes this.
  7. jl1575

jl1575

Good one.

#17     Oct 27, 2020
  8. Peter8519

Peter8519

Ever experience when we are so "sure" of a trade is going to be profitable and it turned to be a flop! :( I think everyone's subconscious make up is different so each is going to find his own way to tame the beast!:sneaky:

#18     Oct 27, 2020
    Trader Curt likes this.
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

What I've learned is that most traders are not suitable for trading and they do not know it. They then waste their time, energy and money pursuing something that they will never learn how to exploit for income (profits).

Others may have a traumatizing event that requires evaluation to determine if they're suitable to continue trading just like any other job evaluation.

A psychologist or psycho therapist can help a trader to ensure they are in the right place mentally because retail traders are typically ill suited to make that determination on their own.

wrbtrader

#19     Oct 27, 2020
    TrailerParkTed, danielc1 and nursebee like this.
  10. The character on Billions is based on a real analyst, Denise Shull. You can follow Denise on Twitter where she shares trading performance psychology tips.

https://www.tradingtechnologies.com/blog/2018/03/28/5-questions-with-denise-shull-ma/

denisbi.png

#20     Oct 27, 2020
    yc47ib, JSOP and danielc1 like this.