Has anyone noticed...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gabfly1, Apr 16, 2010.

1. wjk

wjk

I hope the left doesn't really feel this way since many are just concerned Americans. Unfortunately, many on the left seem to feel that way about most average Americans. That is why they are despised by so many on the right. Tea party members are considered stupid racists. By default, so are the average Americans that make up the tea party.
    If tea party support of true conservatives or libertarians doesn't overcome the mainstream, I can't disagree with you. I don't consider them stupid because they are sick of moderates, however. Perhaps the movement is an effect rather than a cause. Moderate Republicans are struggling against conservatives at present. That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the tea party.

I agree that a third party candidate puts O man back in power, but so does a mainstream republican in my opinion. Let's see how the conservatives do against the moderates in the primaries.

#91     Apr 17, 2010
  2. The teabaggers, the birthers, the Minutemen...all act like extremist fools...

Even Ron Paul suffered because his followers were nutballs in 2008.

If the followers acted like normal human beings maybe the movement would stand a chance, but when Fox News Corporation denounced the birthers and baggers as not worth covering...you have to know that these people are fringe elements in society...

So if the fringe elements go third party, fine by me. That's their right, and it will keep Obama in office through 2016...

#92     Apr 17, 2010
  3. wjk

wjk

Not entirely true regarding the tea party. There was a small tea party event in my community Thu. It was comprised of mostly middle age to older Americans, many retired military. In the news coverage I saw no "show us the birth certificate" signs or any signs containing racial slurs. They left no mess behind and there was no violence.

Certainly fringe elements are drawn to all movements. Shit, look at the current progressive movement within the democrat party. If one doesn't see some of that as fringe, it is no wonder they see everyday concerned citizens as extremist.

I make no defense of the fringe elements of the right, but even the MSM is beginning to admit that the tea party movement may not be as far out there as it had tried to portray...or perhaps I should say demonize.

#93     Apr 18, 2010
  4. I don't get it. You mean that a Republican candidate needs to be well to the right and if he/she isn't, those right wing Republicans who see the candidate as too far left will vote Democrat in protest? No, that couldn't be what you're saying. You think they'll just stay home and let the Dems elect Obama again? I find it hard to believe that of all the Republicans who could be considered firmly right as opposed to moderate, any but a few of them would actually refuse to vote. After all, they see Obama as the devil incarnate.

If a mainstream Republican puts Obama back in power, the right are truly lost, because any of the further right Republicans are eventually going to reveal some distasteful belief that disqualifies them for the Presidency (see Sarah Palin).

#94     Apr 18, 2010
  5. wjk

wjk

I knew republicans who voted dem in 2006 to punish the GOP because they moved too far to the left. No shit. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

No, I'm not saying "well to the right", but saying maybe a conservative, at least in the fiscal sense.

I'm saying a candidate who is conservative may do much better than many would believe. The GOP put up a pretty moderate candidate in McCain, and many conservatives who voted for him held their nose while doing so. As a moderate, he failed to get the job done. Some may blame Palin for that. Others might say he did better because of her. I have no opinion either way regarding Palin in the election. I do not believe she will run in 2012 anyway.

I should clarify that in my previous discussion, my thoughts are mostly pertaining to congress. When I speak of moderates, I am referring to the likes of Snowe, Collins, McCain, Graham, and others who are happy to go along with the left on too many issues. I'm referring to the candidates who run as conservatives and after being elected become moderates. They become fiscally irresponsible and begin to sound like liberals who think they know what's best for everyone. And many won't even stand up to and challenge the charges of racism coming from left wing senators and reps. It's time for them to go.

No doubt the left would like to see more wimpy moderate republicans. Totally understandable since they do little to halt the march of the left, and in fact may even help to advance it.

#95     Apr 18, 2010