Has anyone had success trading stock's earnings?--either before or after

Discussion in 'Trading' started by marshg, Oct 28, 2015.

1. marshg

marshg

It seems to me like there could be some way/s to play earnings--probably more in the anticipation than actual event, though I know there is research on post earnings effects. I'm curious if anyone has consistently made profits in this area, and if so are willing to give some sense of what they focus on.
    thanks.

2. Bob111

Bob111

depends on how you want to play it. tools and approach. same as fixing your car. people trade gaps,directional,stocks, options, people buy \sell volatility on options. plenty of ways.

3. Jones75

Jones75

There is an excellent book "Option Strategies For Earnings Annoucements" by Zhou and Shon. It informs the reader of what is more likely to work than not, with in depth analysis of past performances. It covers going both long and short.
    In my humble opinion, this is one of the better books out there on the earnings subject.
    Cheers!

marshg likes this.
  4. Use a strategy; don't just flat out bet on a direction prior to an earrings announcement :confused:

5. marshg

marshg

thanks for responses so far--esp book recommendation (will ck it out). Still curious if anyone is consistently winning overall from their earnings approach? (that is, theory is nice, but actual consistent performance is obviously want really matters)

6. marshg

marshg

. Note/fyi: this builds on an earlier work they did "
    Trading on Corporate Earnings News: Profiting from Targeted, Short-Term Options Positions that cost less.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  7. Bob111

Bob111

yes.(if that was enough for you)

8. marshg

marshg

well, of course more details would be great, but yes that is helpful--thanks Bob.

9. Holding through earnings is ALWAYS a gamble IMO.

10. Bob111

Bob111

and you buy and sell that

#10     Nov 1, 2015