Has anyone ever gone through this?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by PENS WIN, Jun 13, 2009.

1. THE SOLUTION IS VERY SIMPLE!

Take half of your profit off the table and place a stop for the other half at breakeven. This way, you reduce the risk of losing all your profit while allowing your winner to ride the wave. Should it completely reverse and you are stopped out, you still pocket money from the other half.

IMPORTANT! It's important that you make the distinction that this is more about trading "psychology" rather than "strategy". It's all about how you cope with the potential profit and loss and this belongs squarely in the proper realm of MONEY MANAGEMENT.

#11     Jun 13, 2009
  2. Redneck

Redneck

Sir

I’m in a pretty poignant mood today - so.....

Time for "you" to cut through the B/S and make a decision…

Either you want to trade, or you don’t

If you do….. Then suck it up and trade

And as there are no guarantees for any given trade’s outcome (no matter what “indicator/ system” you’re using)…. Trade it and absolutely KNOW – each trade will either make or lose money… PERIOD..

Enter a trade, manage it, exit – wash, rinse, repeat – day in and day out – for the rest of your career

No way around it…., no way to soften it up…., it can be no other way…

This is what we are – this is what we do – this is what we face – every day

Paper trading (although of some value) ain’t trading – you won’t know your profitability till you trade

Now if you can’t do this – time to find another calling… No harm no foul… and know you’re no less a person for the experience (in fact quite the opposite is true as people who know their limitation are actually stronger than those who don’t)

Sir I know sound like an ass – but I will not coddle you and I refuse to make the reality of trading any less than what it is

And yes – I’ve been there and done that

Regards
    RN

#12     Jun 13, 2009
  3. But......

#13     Jun 13, 2009
  4. Learn to trade with a mirror. Do everything backwards.
    (let your profits run and cut your losses)

#14     Jun 13, 2009
  5. trendo

trendo

What was your strategy? Even though it failed , I think a lot of us are curious as to what it was.

#15     Jun 14, 2009
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

The OP's strategy failed when market conditions changed. Failure of a strategy isn't a problem in and of itself; you can re-evaluate market conditions and change the strategy accordingly.

I'm going to venture a guess that the problem was that the OP was successfully trading a strategy without strict risk management because his success did not require strict risk management. Then when conditions changed, the lack of strict risk management led to disaster. A failed strategy does not blow an account; poor risk management does.

I speak from experience. Last spring I was a totally new trader who bought stocks/options when price fell off a cliff over news. Because the market had been in bull run from 1/22 lows, any fundamentally sound company that was dragged down over another player's bad news, or that had reported an earnings miss, would stage a great bounce off the panic selloff. Even the few trades that produced a drawdown for a couple weeks, before you know it "came back" and resulted in a profit eventually. This led to some great returns for a beginner, and I traded without stops and simply expected patience to create the desired result. It worked every time!

Then the bear market started in earnest and the most fundamentally sound companies no longer found support. You'd better have your stops in place or watch a small loss turn into a very large loss from which there was no recovery.

High tuition paid, but over the months I learned risk management. And it wasn't until two months ago that I learned risk management is critical on EVERY TRADE no matter what logic tells you.

Once you master risk management so that it's second nature, there is no more fear of pulling the trigger because you know in advance the most you can lose and you've accepted it.

#16     Jun 14, 2009
  7. Sir, I believe your fear is a result of trading too much size when you first started trading. You didn't go through the experience of building up that size and you didn't "earn" it. Now you have a monthly nut you need to attain in order to live your lifestyle and you are in a situation where you are clearly uncomfortable with pushing the pedal down the entire way and putting on max size.

#17     Jun 14, 2009
  8. Wilt

Wilt

Just jump. You have to have faith in your method. Consider yourself simply a tool for its execution. Cut your losers before they get serious. If you enter a position and it immediately is going against you, consider dumping it. It's better to be flat and catch the next one than hit homers all the time while sometimes striking out.

Just jump and trust the method.

Wilt

#18     Jun 14, 2009
  9. Cut your size in half and learn to live with those profits.

Paper trade any size you want in parallel to your real trades.

#19     Jun 14, 2009
  10. No. I can't, there are sharks in the water.

#20     Jun 14, 2009