Has anybody ever done a surf school/camp?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChkitOut, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Cant say I have shared the lineup with may pros. But the few I have I prefer to watch them when it happens. Because of the reasons you stated...they just kill it.

Buttons has that incurable disease. Nobody quits ice. Sad stuff

#21     Feb 26, 2010
  2. You have no idea how they compare. Just wait until you try it out. Then come back and bump this thread.

#22     Feb 26, 2010
  3. My motto is "surf alone". If my local is firing that means the 35 miles to my east and west if doing the same and ill go find a quiet spot. But then again..with two wee ones at home and working east coast market hours I pretty much get just a few hours a week at the most. FOR NOW!

#23     Feb 26, 2010

4. After winter surfing on the east coast for over 10 years both my ears have growth. I still surf, but wear plugs now. Cant bring myself to have the operations yet. Scary.

Wear plugs if your just starting.

#24     Feb 26, 2010

5. guys, sorry to hear that.

i thought the only dangers to surfing were the rip currents and the sharks.

#25     Feb 26, 2010
  6. jem

jem

I tried plugs - took away from the fun - plus I was getting out of shape.

My 9 year old son loves it.... so perhaps I will be surfing again with plugs.

#27     Feb 26, 2010
  7. Arnie

Arnie

#28     Nov 10, 2011
  8. #29     Nov 10, 2011
  9. WHen I was a kid, I'm not sure I remember back that far:D , we went to Hawaii for a family trip. Talked my Dad into surfing lessons at local hotel, and had a blast. Later in the trip we went to some black sand beach, and I almost got sucked out to sea with the undertow. Didn't faze me as I had no idea, but holy crap my parents were freaked out.
    A couple years later we were in Acaupolco(sp?) and same thing. I was swimming off the hotel beach, and the mother of all waves(to me ) came in and I was underwater for what seemed like an eternity, flipping around with no control. I washed up on shore at the sea wall, which was a long ways from the water when I entered, and to say the least my Mom was out of her mind as were a whole bunch of parents. That time I got how lucky I was. Surfers have to be some powerful swimmers as the ocean is nothing to mess with.
    My 3 sons have all had swim lessons to the advanced level as a result of my experiences, and I will still be nervous when we head to a real ocean. My middle son is a born lineman, 15 yrs old, 6'2" 235lbs, but is ridiculous in the water and swims the distance events for his high school team, but I know he still has no clue he is no match for the ocean when it is letting loose. Fortunately his coach is a Vietnam era rescue frogman, and Coast Guard Reserve member who has no mercy in making sure his teams can swim, but also could save a life if called.

#30     Nov 10, 2011