Has any of you ACTUALLY made more money from so called alternative data?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by alphatrion, Mar 5, 2019.

Do you use any so called alternative data?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2019.
  1. Never heard of them

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes, a lot

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. I am interested, but haven't used any

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No and don't think they matter

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Yeah, I heard that too they use satellite images to see if parking spaces are filled or not.

#11     Mar 6, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. %%
    They ,Alpha T,most likely spell better than me also; but even the spell checker does NOT do nicknames well. LOL........ The [machine]spell checker does not seem to have much discretion .LOL. As far as digging thru data; good for them; prefer candleCharts, or mountain/Valley charts, myself.:cool::cool:,:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

#12     Mar 7, 2019
  3. dvrkbxy

dvrkbxy

lol so wait, you're saying hedge funds track this to get an edge on how retail sales are doing?

#13     Apr 20, 2019
    Nobert likes this.
  4. sle

sle

That's been around for a while, though the value of this data is overblown (same with counting trucks for shipping). It's a tricky dataset to work with since you have to have data in relatively high temporal resolution and have intelligent process for dealing with various artifacts. So in real life, the actual images are analyzed and the results are supplied by a commercial vendor, not hedge funds themselves. Since everyone uses the same few vendors, the value of this alpha decreased a lot in the recent years.

#14     Apr 20, 2019
    dvrkbxy and Nobert like this.
  5. dvrkbxy

dvrkbxy

That's funny. and crazy.. I'm sure they would go to even much greater lengths for a little edge

#15     Apr 20, 2019