Harvard 2006: Housing boom will not end in a crash.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I agree. Sometimes children come up with the best answers to why things occur, or solutions - simply because they do not over-complicate.

#11     Apr 9, 2012
  2. jem

jem

1. I have found Ivy guys with soft degrees on average to be no smarter on average... in the areas of law, finance and chats at the club.

2. But Ivys do have a fat tail. When you meet really smart people, many of them have gone to top schools.

3. I would exclude Yale... Yale seems to have a very high percentage of smart grads. Unlike say Harvard which seems very political so you never know with Harvard grads until you talk with them. They can be really smart or even below average.

My unofficial list... .

Yale - wish I went there. Seems to have great alums.

Brown means nothing. Maybe even not smarter than average.

Dartmouth seems solid reasonably smart.

Penn - with their undergraduates... not much difference...no sense they are smarter than average person you meet in business or law.

Princeton... I have a few friends who got in because of their repeat your junior year at boarding school trick... they were not that smart... but note... older Princeton grads are smart.

Columbia maybe a little smarter than average... they are so connected to New York... to me its hard to tell. Living in New York City makes people a little sharper and quicker thinking. You have to be or you will get spit out. (N.Y. produces more jerkoffs too.)

Cornell... I only knew a few friends who went there, I have no opinion as I have not run into Cornell grads in business or law often.

Harvard is that large fat tale situation. Lots of dopes and lots of very smart people.

#12     Apr 9, 2012
  3. Idiot.

It was established earlier in this thread that those who GAIN ADMISSIONS via merit, as opposed to legacy and/or affirmative action, do possess greater intelligence than your run of the mill community college graduate.

There are numerous dumb ass politicians that graduated from the "Ivies", many of whom got in because their father's were politicians or had legacy standing at the schools.

Do yourself a favor and check to see the admissions requirements for Yale or Harvard. Kids graduating at the top of their class with perfect SAT scores still get denied admissions.

#13     Apr 9, 2012
  4. And then there are many people out there much smarter than an "ivy" that never went to college. Just goes to show you that you cant read a book by its cover.

#14     Apr 9, 2012
  5. Same story during great depression of 30s, a half dozen top economists formed a group and kept predicting economy and missing the mark all time. then went to obscurity and ignored. Can not remember more details, but easy to dig out if you want.

#15     Apr 9, 2012
  6. Harvard and Yale have similar demographics. Both have had very good ice hockey teams at times.

Dartmouth and Princeton are, by tradition, drinking schools. But that's outdated.

The others might be ranked, in order: Columbia, Brown, Penn, Cornell.

#16     Apr 9, 2012
  7. I agree. The only thing I can say about the ivy leaguers with any degree of certainty is that they are ALL hard workers. They put the effort in to their studies. This doesnt give them a high IQ or the ability to see patterns in certain situations (like the economy), it just means that if you went to an ivy league school, you definitely busted your ass studying in high school. It doesn't mean you are smart, it just means you put in the effort that most don't.

The Average IQ at Harvard is 127. Thats not even high enough to get into MENSA. (for reference the average IQ of students that complete bachelors degrees is 115) Not much of a difference.

Take into account there are probably a few people at harvard that do have very high IQs in the 180s which brings Harvards average up higher than an average college but with these facts we can assume that people that go to harvard are not smarter than your average joe college graduate, they are just much harder workers.

#17     Apr 9, 2012
  8. I can assure you, they are all drinking schools today (not that they weren't back then, I don't know). Harvard party scene is nuts for better or for worse. You'd think it's South campus BU. This is coming from recent personal experience.

#18     Apr 9, 2012
  9. More brain droppings from the resident idiot.

If the typical Ivy Leaguer is no "smarter" than your average joe college graduate, explain away the test scores. While I realize that there are students who try to game the SAT/ACT, the fact remains that those who gain admissions score the highest on these tests.

If it were merely about hard work, then students at Harvard and Yale, etc would simply have the straight A's with no significant difference in test scores from their peers.

#19     Apr 9, 2012
  10. You don't know what Harvard test scores are so shutup. Might you be suprise how little objective stats influence admission officers.
    And google my username

#20     Apr 10, 2012