Hardware reco

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by riskarb, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Hi Guys~
    A good friend of mine is starting an equity option book from a home office. He's in need of a couple pc's from a reliable vendor. He'll be running IB and REDI, button trader and Aspen Graphics.

Would appreciate a vendor and spec recommendation, TIA.

arb.

2. DellHome - Dimension 4600 Desktop with 2.6Ghz Hyperthreaded P4, 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM, 120GB S-ATA Drive, 16x DVD, for $725 with FREE Shipping (Posted by: Apex)
    This unit is LOADED, and thanks to an instant $209 discount, this is a great deal. It comes with a fast 2.6Ghz HyperThreaded Pentium 4 processor with an 800mhz system bus, a full 512MB of dual channel DDR SDRAM at 400Mhz, a big 120GB 7200RPM Serial-ATA hard drive, 16x DVD-Rom, 56k PCI modem, 10/100 NIC, integrated Dolby Digital 5.1 capable sound, Windows XP Home, and a 1 year warranty. The motherboard has an 8x AGP slot and 4 PCI slots. There`s free shipping, and Dell Home doesn`t collect sales tax from most states.

Start here at this Dell Home Dimension 4600 Desktop. DELLHOME
    To minimize the cost, change to the following options:
    Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive [subtract $179]
    Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 [subtract $70]
    No Speaker Option [subtract $10]
    You can choose whatever upgrades you want, though they may increase the price. Then scroll to the bottom and click on Continue
    Scroll to the bottom and click on Continue
    Scroll to the bottom and click on Add to cart
    Use coupon code: B036FDAB63CA for $25 off a $500+ system purchase. Expires 2/29/04. Finish checking out.

3. Thanks vhehn!

arb.

4. gnome

gnome

Vhehn is correct about a Dell 4600 being a good rig for the job. However, should it make a difference, the 4600 has only 3 PCI slots.

5. I priced the Dell 4600 last night and found that for similar $$ he can buy from Falcon or Voodoo. Good point, but I don't think the dearth of slots is an issue.

arb.

6. gnome

gnome

Only you would know if "dearth of slots" would be an issue for your needs. I just mentioned it because of the possibility. (In my case, I need a minimum of 4 PCI, so the 4600 is out of the question.)

7. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

For workstations we use only Dell systems at both of my companies - for a variety of reasons. Reconditioned or off-lease machines can be had at very reasonable prices and are fully compatible with Windows OS's - they also do well with Linux. Trading stations rarely need the fastest processors or video adapters. Last years model with more RAM is usually the best value for traders workstations.