hardware platform recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flyingdutch, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Hello fellow traders,

so far I've been a part time trader with a couple of PC's and datek/ameritrade/IB trading as brokers. I used and evaluated a couple of tools like instaquote, qcharts. I now want to go "Pro", with a full fledged trading platform. I've read most information on this site and checked out the info.
    My "profile": trading mostly stocks (nasdaq) and also (occasionally) stocks in Paris (I'm living in France, but I'm Dutch).
    average 4-5 trades a day. 1000 shares. Good support is crucial to me.

Questions :

broker/platform: I am doubting between esignal and TS7. which ones do you recommend? why?

Hardware: I'm doubting between 4 * 17" or 3*19" LCD screens. What's your opinion? What graphics card do you recommend? I had planned 1Gb RAM. Enough? P4. Any other recommendations highly appreciated. Good and reliable HW vendors that deliver (or are located) in EUrope? Are there vendors that sell complete trading systems (dual or quad) "out of the box"?

Is it still usefull to continue with Qcharts if I have any of the two platforms mentioned above?

Thanks

TFD (The Flying Dutchman) from sunny south of France

crossposted in hardware,sofftware,brokers

2. Your questions have been discussed about a thousand times already in this Forum over the past 2 years . . .

Do a Search!

3. Thanks waggie,

I've gone through ALL forums and posts here. And as you say, there have been questions on my answers for the last 2 years. However, I don't know about you, but around me, the world is changing. So if I see threads about the Matrox GS200 MMS, for me , those are outdated. Similar for discussions on CRT's(Does any serious trader still use these?).
    It's like the market. Nice to know what has happened yesterday, better to know what has happened today, ideal to know what is going to happen tomorrow.

Happy trading

TFD(The Flying Dutchman)

4. I must agree with waggie. If you can't find anything of use on ET about hardware platforms, I think this would be a bad omen for your prospects of ever going to find an interesting trade in the market.

Keep trying,

nononsense

5. Ok, I will humor you for a couple of minutes . . .

1.) Buy a P4 Dell 8300 with atleast 512mb of RAM and XP Pro.
    2.) Purchase a 64mb PCI slot graphics card.
    3.) Purchase 3 x 19" LCD monitors, Dell or NEC.
    4.) Make sure you have high-speed broadband capability.

As I said earlier, this topic has been discussed in "infinitum" but I guess living in France has made you a bit lazy.

Cheers!

6. Thanks waggie,

that's already more constructive and comes close to what I had in mind.

P4 3,2Ghz. 1 GB RAM, 2*100Gb storage, quad matrox GS450 MMS, 4* 17" LCD DVI. XP Pro

Pitty I cannot get it shipped from the US because such a config goes for about 4000€ overhere. I'll let you do the conversion in dollars...:)

True, life on the cote d'azur is tough. ......:)

See ya

TFD

7. Thanks waggie,

that's already more constructive and comes close to what I had in mind.

P4 3,2Ghz. 1 GB RAM, 2*100Gb storage, quad matrox GS450 MMS, 4* 17" LCD DVI. XP Pro

Pitty I cannot get it shipped from the US because such a config goes for about 4000€ overhere. I'll let you do the conversion in dollars...:)

True, life on the cote d'azur is tough. ......:)

See ya

TFD

8. Get 3 19''. You can always add a 4th 19'' later and charts look much better on a 19. The more chart data you can fit onto a screen the better it will be. A picture is worth a thousand words but a bigger picture is worth even more... :)

9. TGregg

TGregg

Yes. If one cannot afford to run XP, one should run W2K. One generally wants to run the latest NT OS they can.