Hardware Help/Education (power supply, RAID1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WinstonTJ, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Lets hope you are right about flipping a switch in the BIOS. Do you know if I should format the second drive prior to turning on RAID or should it just take care of itself?

gnome, also wondering why you think that RAID is a risk, I'll be running RAID 1 if all goes well.

#21     Jan 16, 2009
  2. gnome

gnome

I don't know about the first, but it's easy enough to format.

People with RAID 1 are counting upon RAID to be a good backup. However, "things" can happen to impact both/all HDDs on a system. You don't have genuine backup unless the backup is outside of your computer... even then, it's not totally secure unless it's also off site.... potential for fire and theft, you know.

It's easy to have better and safer backup than RAID....

Whatever backup scheme you choose, it's better than none. But RAID has no appeal to me.

#22     Jan 16, 2009
  3. bought all the stuff to run RAID 5 on the CPU and RAID 1 on the external incremental backup... turns out that my PC only supports RAID1 so I ran RAID1, returned a few parts and we're paying for online/offsite backup. Its simpler and just as easy IMO, with a little more cost but minus the steeper up front cost.

#23     Jan 19, 2009