Hardware Firewall

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by dougcs, Sep 3, 2003.

1. I just read the page on the sonicwall website and seriously did not understand very much. Can I plug my cable modem into it???:confused:

What is the best kind of hardware firewall setup for the average person who has a minimal knowledge of networking?

Are the d-link and netgear etc. good enough or do I need to have a sonicwall type unit?

If you have one of the common consumer units, are the defaults it uses sufficient or are there special settings that make it more effective?

#21     Sep 8, 2003
  2. I place most of my clients on Netgear and Linksys equipment. They both are easy to work with and good. Your minimal knowledge will do fine. The default settings will cover most of your needs and concerns and any adjustments will not require you to tackle extensive mental exercises. :)

#22     Sep 9, 2003
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Sonicwall products are nice but for many traders there are lower cost options that will work just fine. Netgear and Linksys low end routers are both very good quality and can be obtained quite cheaply - in some cases for around 40.00 dollars.

Unless you are routing quite a few packets, the OS and processor speed of the router wont matter and low end solutions like netgear or linksys will be more than adequate. IMHO anyone that can use a computer can figure out how to properly configure them for special cases that deviate from the out of the box settings.

#23     Sep 9, 2003