Hardware Firewall

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by dougcs, Sep 3, 2003.

1. You've been lied to, are lying yourself, or the update was not applied correctly. Trust me, I've been dealing w/ this virus on other people's computers for weeks now. It doesn't morph and it doesn't "blast" through a firewall. The virus does not run different on your machine than everyone else's. If you can find me one article that describes this virus getting through a patched machine, I'll believe you.

#11     Sep 7, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

This information is FALSE!

You do not know what you are talking about.

nitro

#12     Sep 7, 2003
  3. nitro

nitro

nononsense,

Which netgear? Please post a spec sheet or a link and I will give you my opinion.

nitro

#13     Sep 7, 2003
  4. #14     Sep 7, 2003
  5. #15     Sep 7, 2003
  6. Care to enlighten me?

#16     Sep 7, 2003
  7. nitro

nitro

Both of those would be adequate as hardware firewalls and are comparable to the Sonicwall.

The only thing that I could not tell is what software OS they are running, which is not a trivial thing.

nitro

#17     Sep 7, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

9. Lancer

Lancer

I highly recommend the SonicWALL:

http://www.sonicwall.com/products/soho3.html

I've run a LAN behind one for several years now and have never had one single hardware problem or security breach. The SonicWALL is a ICSA certified stateful packet inspection firewall that also handles NAT, DHCP, VPN, etc. It's highly configurable, and has an extensive management interface. It emails a log each day, and can also give real-time alerts. They also offer Anti-Virus and Content Filtering as add-ons. I researched it pretty well before I bought it, and it's the total package.

I also like ZoneAlarm software on each PC for flexible and immediate control of outgoing connection attempts on a per-application basis.

#19     Sep 8, 2003
  10. Have a look at the Hotbrick VPN 600

www.hotbrick.com

It's a firewall and Dual Wan Router so you han manage two broadband connections for redundancy.

Runningbear

#20     Sep 8, 2003