Harddrive Issue...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elindydotcom, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Hi gnome, I would be very surprised if any Windows-based software could access the drive if its not even showing up in the XP device mgr, this sounds like a different problem to me.

#11     Jan 30, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

No, I don't. But I know this approach works. Besides, when the OS doesn't recognize the HD, what do you do with it to fix something??? I dunno either.

#12     Jan 30, 2006
  3. Note that both drives are SATA, not PATA.

#13     Jan 30, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

Acronis will do it. I've done so several times.

#14     Jan 30, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

Don't you still have to set the jumpers for SATA? Isn't there a Primary and Secondary Port for SATA? (I'm really asking here, because I've only presumed I understand... all of mine are PATA.)

#15     Jan 30, 2006
  6. As far as I recall there are no jumpers wtih SATA, you just cable it to the motherboard, one drive per cable thus no master/slave issues. I only have a couple of systems with SATA drives though and none of them have dual SATA yet like the OP.

#16     Jan 30, 2006
  7. gnome

gnome

Just thought of one more thing that might work.... "Clear your NV Ram". This action is motherboard specific, so I can't tell you how to do yours... (unless you have a Dell Dimension 8250 or 8300), but it resets your IDE configuration to default.

#17     Jan 30, 2006
  8. gnome

gnome

Isn't one of the SATA ports on the systemboard identified as Master and the other as Slave? Don't you have to set the HD jumpers appropriately?

#18     Jan 30, 2006
  9. gnome

gnome

Acronis has a 15-day, full feature free trial, but you'll have to download that from the Acronis site. You can use that for your problem even if you don't buy.

#19     Jan 30, 2006
  10. No, there are no master/slave jumpers on SATA drives. The connection to the motherboard (and/or BIOS settings) determine boot order.

#20     Jan 30, 2006