Hard drive partitioning question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alanack, Mar 21, 2006.

1. alanack

alanack

I'm adding a second hard drive, just trying to understand optimal partitioning options, and have a simple question: Must all program files be in the same partition, or can different files be put in different partitions. Thanks.

Alan

2. Hi alanack,

What operating system(s) are you using?
    Are you doing a fresh os install?
    Are you keeping your existing hardrive partitioning and filesystem as it is?
    How big are your harddrives?
    How would you wnat to see your filesystem organized?

Have you googled around for op schemes that might pertain to your needs?

kt

3. Well, it depends on what you're referring to. If you mean.. "Can I move existing applications or thier dependancies to my new partitions?" then I'd say no not simply, becareful, because the programs may currently have library or other dependancy paths that if your not aware will be disrupted. There are also what are called environment variables that could be disrupted.

Otherwise for freshly installed apps to different partition/drives then no not necessarily.

Disclosure:
    I'm not an expert...
    ... But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :)

4. Banjo

Banjo

While we're on the subject, I've wondered about a couple of things. Can an existing partition on a drive be simply expanded if running out of space by some means and if there are 2 partitions on a single drive can files be copied from one partition (C)to the other (F) or whatever designation given the same os?

5. KingsSon

KingsSon

The answer you want really depends on what you mean by "optimal."

Speaking from a Windows perspective, you can have different programs placed on different partitions. I've never tried to put the files for *one* program on different partitions (a little here, a little there) and I suspect it wouldn't work.

As an example of what I do - I have three partitions. C, D, and E. My C drive is setup for Windows XP alone (I have about 15 GB for the OS). My D drive is set up for applications alone, and my E drive is set up data alone.

This permits me to do a backup of my most important stuff (data) more easily by just selecting the whole drive instead of choosing sub directories and what not. Or, it permits me to wipe my D drive and repartition to make it accomodate more programs. Perhaps it's overkill, but that's the what's seemed to work best for me and my setup so far.

If you're running Linux, I can't offer much in the way of advice.

KS

6. multiple partitions were a thing of the past. If you add a new hard drive. use it all in 1 partition. for backup storage.

storage is cheap.

I remember my first computer. 386dx40mhz 4mb!!! w/210mb HD. i had 6 partitions.

C: 60
    D: 30
    E: 30
    F: 30
    G: 30
    H: 30

7. dchang0

dchang0

Chopping up your drive into multiple partitions and then accessing them as different drive letters concurrently will reduce the performance of both drive letters because the arm will have to sweep back and forth between the two partitions as you write to both "drives."

So, you would only want to use multiple partitions if you are using them for a multiboot arrangement. In those cases, it is possible but highly unlikely that you would be accessing the other partitions on the drive concurrently.

8. concept of parition is logical not physical. sure, its physically possible to have paritions located on different platters.

most disk manufacturers are using less platters with higher density to reduce heat & noise.

i've heard most new disk have only 1 platter, i cannot confirm that.