hard drive deal this weekend

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Free Thinker, Jan 24, 2004.

1. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

I went to OfficeDepot last week based on an ad they had for a UPS. Orig $59.95, but $29.95 after rebates. However they were out of the UPS, so I asked for a raincheck. They said just bring the ad in later and we'll give it to you at that price, even though the rebate period would have expired.

So, a week later I went back. The sale was over and the rebate period was over. I showed them the ad and told them the situation and they gave it to me at $29.95! I didn't even have to send for a rebate! Net savings, $0.37+envelope+time+carry cost!

Still love Office Depot!

Cash

#71     Feb 13, 2004
  2. Wow!

:)

#72     Feb 13, 2004
  3. No problems......works great.....we shall see.....

During installation, I needed to install Windows XP pro from the "boot from CD prompt" during start up....I needed to hit a key within 5 seconds to do this.....like the Savant that I am I just sat there and couldn't figure it out.....

By the way, when you open up the puter....it is helpful to have a handy PC tool kit, and some canned air.....(free with rebate)

Michael B.

#73     Feb 21, 2004
  4. gnome

gnome

At Office Max

#74     Feb 22, 2004
  5. Over the weekend, I just installed a brand new 36.7 Gig Serial ATA "Raptor" drive with the 8mb buffer and 10,000 rpm into my Dell 8300 Dimension machine.

It took me the better part of a Sunday afternoon and evening (re-downloading all of my programs) since I did not "copy" or "ghost" my old drive onto the new one. Instead, I decided to do a fresh install.

The "Raptor" is so fast that Windows-XP loaded in 11 minutes flat!

I am also happy to report that it does not emit the high-pitched whine that some reviewers of the drive have commented on. It does make a dull, single-shot, "ka-chunk" every now and then while reading but other than that, it runs flawlessly and I cannot hear it over all the fans in my case.

I also decided to install a hard drive fan with 2 small fans to keep the unit cool as well. If anyone has any questions about installation, or problems with an install on a Dell, feel free to PM me.

Yesterday, www.newegg.com was selling this drive on Sale for $108.00

:)

#75     Feb 24, 2004
  6. WinSum

WinSum

#76     May 8, 2004
  7. nitro

nitro

Thanks for the heads up.

nitro

#77     May 8, 2004