hard drive deal this weekend

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Free Thinker, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Am I missing something? re-route the money? If the check was made out to you, how would somebody else reroute it? Do you mean that they would forge your endorsement and then sign their name with a double endorsement (which is not possible with rebate checks) and deposit it in their account? Besides leaving a giant paper trail with several checks being deposited, it would not be worth the federal jail time for a postal employee....(excess of 50 yrs for this type of crime by a federal employee)

Michael B.

#21     Jan 28, 2004
  2. Not really Nitro, all you'd have to do is check with the rebate house, and they would tell you the check was cashed. Never happened to me even once out of hundreds.

And they send some rebates in the form of an exposed postcard. :D

#22     Jan 28, 2004
  3. nitro

nitro

Where do you live? Chicago's Postal Service is known for some of the biggest blunders/scams in the country.

nitro

#23     Jan 28, 2004
  4. nitro

nitro

To be accurate, I am not sure how it would work. But from what I have seen, if you are willing to fake a drivers licence, you can get away with it.

But it is more likely that the company is not honoring them. As I mentioned in my post, Costco, who handles millions of thes a year, says that it is not just me, but millions of people that get screwed out of them. That is why they started the collection themselves.

nito

#24     Jan 28, 2004
  5. Never failed to get a rebate I applied for. The companies offering them simply count on a certain percentage of their rebates not to be sent in, which is then calculated into the loss/profit/pricing scheme. I just got a rebate check for a 120GB WD drive I got from Circuit City, net cost $60. That $19.95 for an 80GB is fantastic. Get two for redundancy.

You can check the Sunday paper bargains nationwide at:

http://www.salescircular.com/

#25     Jan 28, 2004
  6. New York City postal service is pretty good, have to admit, as long as you don't actually have to wait on a long line at the Post Office.

#26     Jan 29, 2004
  7. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

The only rebate I've never received is from Staples.

Officemax, OfficeDepot, CircuitCity, BestBuy, Symantec, Dell, on and on... No problem.

I haven't shopped at staples for 2 years now due to that issue and recommend everyone else avoid them.

#27     Jan 29, 2004
  8. How could your one unfortunate experience be extrapolated to apply to all rebate situations at Staples? Last rebate I got from them came in two weeks.

#28     Jan 29, 2004
  9. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

It doesn't apply to all REBATE situations at Staples, it applies to ALL situations at Staples. I sent multiple e-mails, made phone calls and never got any results. If they can't handle this, OMX and ODP have always done an excellent job, so why shop at a company that doesn't?

#29     Jan 29, 2004
  10. The only rebate I've never received is from Staples

Was there more than one rebate at different times....or was this a single instance and mutiple experiences?

Michael B.

#30     Jan 29, 2004