hard drive deal this weekend

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Free Thinker, Jan 24, 2004.

1. nitro

nitro

This is not the "deal" I thought it was. I just got my Sunday Chicago Trib...

The drive is $99.99. Then you get an "instant" $20 rebate. OK, at this point you are paying about the going rate for this thing at $80.00.

Now, to get the $19.99, you have to send in a mfr. mail in $30 rebate, and and an office max $30 mail in rebate. LOL! I don't know about you guys, but these "rebates" never get rebated.

Passing...

nitro

#11     Jan 25, 2004
  2. pspr

pspr

You do have to have the presence of mind to mail them in!
    :D

#12     Jan 25, 2004
  3. nonam

nonam

I know if it was a staples rebate it would never get rebated.Doesnt matter what you mail,they say it never arrived.No use making copies,they dont accept them.No use sending them mail registered or fedex,their rebate center doesnt accept.

#13     Jan 25, 2004
  4. I have had very good luck with the rebates from Office Max.

The only problem is that it really does take about 8 weeks to get the check back from them!

#14     Jan 25, 2004
  5. nitro,

Couldn't agree more. I have a running list of rebates I never got. Now, I ignore them. Not worth the frustration.

#15     Jan 25, 2004
  6. Actually, I do get ALL of my rebates from BestBuy. I don't know about OfficeMax or OfficeDepot.

#16     Jan 25, 2004
  7. I have not had this experience. I hope my free phones will get rebated or I will be pissed. :(

Michael B.

#17     Jan 25, 2004
  8. I called my local Officemax store......they had 15 and sold out when they opened, the first 15 customers bought them...there was almost a fight!

The next nearest store in my area is out also.....

I am afraid you folks will need to get a raincheck on this one and wait 2 weeks...

Michael B.

#18     Jan 25, 2004
  9. 99.9% of my rebates have been paid.

One went bankrupt on me.

Maybe a small one or 2 got lost in the shuffle.

But overall, even when I had to make some phone calls, THEY ALL GET PAID. Non-payment is pretty much a myth, though I'm sure it happens.

#19     Jan 27, 2004
  10. nitro

nitro

You know, I would not be surprised if what you are saying is true.

But here is my theory as to why _I_ do not get them. I know I am about to sound paraniod, but I think what is happening to me is that the Post Office people realize that they can steal the money. All they have to do is open the envelope and "reroute" the money to themselves. No one would know, and if you do 10 or 20 of these a month, it is an extra few hundred dollars more in your pocket...

On a less paranoid note, I do know that Costco decided to handle all rebates on behalf of their customers because _they_ were getting so many complaints from their customers of not being honored by the companies that offered them. I have always gotten those, and it is the _only_ place I will do it now.

nitro

#20     Jan 28, 2004