Hard Drive Coolers... anybody use 'em?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, May 16, 2003.

1. omcate

omcate

I bought a video editing system for my friend in August 2002. It has a WD 120 GB, 7,200 RPM hard drive with 2 MB of cache. The NLE software regularly needs to read/write 21 GB of data from/to the disk. No coolor is necessary yet.

:p :p :p
    :D :D :D

#11     May 17, 2003
  2. prophet

prophet

Axeman,

Which applications do you see the most performance benefit with your 15K RPM drives? I’ve never had to wait much for apps to launch. Often I just keep them running.

How much RAM do you have? When you launch these apps, are you able to tell if they loaded from the hard drive or your (much faster) RAM cache?

-p

#12     May 17, 2003
  3. dav10

dav10

want to keep systems cool?? these guys even sell a water cooling system for your pc go to www.pricewatch.com and click on fans..........................

#13     May 17, 2003
  4. I have 512 megs of ram.

All applications launch significantly faster, even after
    a fresh boot with no cache.

My 2ghz systems has the 15,000 rpm drives, and
    my 2.2 ghz system as 7200 rpm drives.

System performance, in general, is obviously faster
    on the system with the fast drives, even though the
    cpu is a little bit slower.

When back testing against mountains of data, the
    hard drives make a huge difference.
    CPU delays are nothing compared to IO delays which are
    measured in milliseconds.

peace

axeman

#14     May 17, 2003
  5. prophet

prophet

Very true.

What software framework do you use to backtest? What quantities of data are you analyzing?

I’ve done backtesting on 4 years of daily data (10 indicators) for 3000 stocks, using per-week rolling trials. Yet disk access constituted about 3% of running time, never an issue really. Of course I was using 1 GB RAM, with half of that as disk cache, and I used I/O efficient code.

#15     May 17, 2003
  6. gnome

gnome

How can you tell, "... half of that as disk cache..."? TIA

#16     May 17, 2003
  7. prophet

prophet

The windows task manager shows how memory is being used.

#17     May 17, 2003

8. Put an "Aqualung" on it, Jethro !!! :D

Seriously though gnome, I've been running a 7200 20g WD for a couple of years now and so far it's been one of the most reliable HD's I've had. (no extra cooling)

I've had segates and maxtors puke within a year. So far so good with the western digital.

I think that leaving them running instead of daily on and off might also help with longevity, although I have no proof of it.
    My logic: light bulbs usually go as soon as you turn the power to them and seldom when they are just burning.

Also, I keep my pc on the floor (the coolest spot in the room).

Hope this helps,

plumlazy

PS.

Drying in the cold sun
    Watching as the frilly panties run.
    Feeling like a dead duck
    spitting out pieces of his broken luck. :D

#18     May 17, 2003
  9. gnome

gnome

You and I dig the same music.

#19     May 17, 2003
  10. Then try this sometime http://www.planetrock.musicradio.com/rockplayer/rocktuner.htm#

for whatever reason, I can't get it to work right now, they may be working on the server? It's coming out of London (4am there now) When it's working...lol...it loads and runs on it's own player...nothing to download...just click and listen.

Try it out later though, it's a pretty decent station. Listen to several songs and I think that you will probably agree.

Also, you can minimize it (it keeps playing) and open a new window for surfing.

#20     May 17, 2003