Happy Birthday My Brothers! 11/10

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by indahook, Nov 10, 2008.

1. 1775: Founding of the Marine Corps

A legacy is born during the American Revolution, many important political discussions took place in the inns and taverns of Philadelphia, including the founding of the Marine Corps.

A committee of the Continental Congress met at Tun Tavern to draft a resolution calling for two battalions of Marines able to fight for independence at sea and on shore.

The resolution was approved on November 10, 1775, officially forming the Continental Marines.

As the first order of business, Samuel Nicholas became Commandant of the newly formed Marines. Tun Tavern’s owner and popular patriot, Robert Mullan, became his first captain and recruiter. They began gathering support and were ready for action by early 1776.

Each year, the Marine Corps marks November 10th with a celebration of the brave spirit which compelled these men and thousands since to defend our country as United States Marines.
    ----------------------------------------------

http://www.marines.com/main/index/winning_battles/history/missions/founding_of_the_marine_co

-------------------------------------------------

90-94
    2nd ANGLICO
    "simply forgot us"
    [​IMG]

2. Thank you for your service to this country.

3. stsslick

stsslick

semper fi

4. Happy Birthday Brothers

Semper Fi

5. 87-93
    HMH-465 Warhorse
    CH-53E Crew Chief

6. Semper Fi Marines.

7. Happy you're on our side.

Could you invade California, and get it back on our side???

8. bronks

bronks

I'm still working on Suzy Rottencrotch... maybe later.

Death Before Dishonor

9. Another birthday for the Few and the Proud. Semper Fi brothers!

10. It has been quite some time since I have read a book that doesn't have anything to do with the market. I needed a change of pace. Completely different than any genre I've read before.

I bought a book on submarine warfare in WW2. That did the trick. Finished that, I picked up a book on the screaming eagles, I know nothing about paratroopers in WW2. I seldom do anything in moderation so next on my list was tank warfare of WW2. I thought I had covered the war genre, but then bought Flags of our Fathers.

I didn't know it was a movie because I seldom keep up on hollywood or tv, but that is neither here nor there.

My daughter was getting married and I had to get fitted for a tux. At the tux shop is this old geezer working by himself and I noticed his coat and hat hanging in the back room when I went to try on my tux. It was all Marine insignias, VFW hat with decorations, so I chatted the guy up, what the hell, I'm a book expert on WW2 and should be able to hold a conversation.

Turns out the guy was a sargent in Marines and fought on Iwo Jima, his picture is in the book Flags of our Fathers. I brought the rest of my kids over to meet him and gave him a case of oranges, sort of like a thank you gift.

#10     Nov 10, 2010