Happy Birthday Jesus!

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Pension_Admin, Dec 25, 2009.

1. I just want to wish Jesus a Happy Birthday!

LOL

Amen

2. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

I'd also like to thank him for the stuffed shells and braccioli I am about to receive.

Happy Holidays to all members!

3. are there still people so uninformed that they dont know that scholars long ago concluded that jesus could not have been born in december? i guess so.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_lib.htm

Dating December 25 as the birthday of Jesus, is known to have gained popularity only by the mid-fourth century in order that Christians could have an alternative to a popular pagan festival at this time of year. December 25 was the winter solstice according to the old Julian calendar, and it was on that day that Mithraism, a chief rival to Christianity, celebrated the birth of the god, Mithra. It is unlikely that we shall ever know exactly when Jesus was born (scholars estimate sometime between 12 and 4 B.C.) or the real circumstances surrounding his nativity. We can, however, attempt to separate historical fact from literary fiction.

The doctrine of the virgin birth of Jesus, so central to the traditional Christmas story, was not part of the teaching of the first Christians, whom it should be remembered, also remained within the Jewish faith (Luke 24:52-53). The apostle Paul makes no reference to the virginal conception by the mother of Jesus when speaking of Jesus' origins and divinity. His epistles were written during the 50's A.D. and predate all of the four gospels. Although Paul never met Jesus (who died about 30 A.D.), he personally did know James, the brother of Jesus. Yet despite this eye-witness link to Jesus, Paul apparently knows nothing of the virgin birth, for he states only that Jesus was "born of a woman" (Galatians 4:4) and was "descended from David, according to the flesh" (Romans 1:3), thereby implying a normal birth.

4. And to think, 2009 years ago today...

Nothing happened.

5. what would retailers do without this great day?

6. BSAM

BSAM

Indeed happy birthday Jesus. And merry Christmas to all.

7. Illum

Illum

This is the angriest day of the year for you isn't it? lol

I hope no one has to invite you over. Yell at everyone around the table, telling them how dumb they are, when they are trying to have a good time. Bah humbug

Merry Christmas Vhehn!!!!!!!!!
    :p

8. loza

loza Guest

Jesus, if there was an actual person which is a hypothesis was likely born in the spring and about 100 years prior to the biblical "story". The historical reference of jesus is highly debated and politicized yet anyone who is actually an expert of archialogy, ancient history would tell you that while certain persons contemporary to jesus were proven to be actual, historical figures, Jesus was a hear say at best. None of the apostles whos stories the Bible is based on knew or met him in person! The talmud and other acient texts refer to a sorcerer Joshua(apl?) who was a Jew and was stoned to death rather than crucified.

9. agpilot

agpilot

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I/ve read most of that info about what scripture and other written accounts say. It's similar to what you posted. I don't see much of a problem with how humans have mishandled all the info over the last 2000+ years.. Why I can't even trust more then half of what is written here on ET every day... Can you image what people will think 2000 years from now when they read this ET forum?? Ho-Ho
    So what... Happy Birthday Jesus... ag

10. if Jesus were alive now would he be a trend follower?

p.s. not sure if i am using the correct grammar here but i am not a native speaker

#10     Dec 25, 2009