Happiness

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by hkrahra, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ammo

ammo

spreading misery isn't a vehicle you ride when looking for happiness,happiness is inside ,like a baby,all the human adult crap,socializing,fitting,accepting the outside ,diminishes it,but it's still in there,stop trying to adjust,accept,judge,fit and just be,like alone on an island, then when you look at folks they are visiting your island, they come and go,you have to remain on the island with yourself,like a baby

#11     Jan 11, 2012
  2. tyrant

tyrant

That is why happiness is impermanent. Sooner or later, the optimal condition for happiness will deteriorate.

#12     Jan 11, 2012
  3. slumdog

slumdog

“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life.
    All that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about.”
    ― Albert Einstein

#13     Jan 11, 2012
  4. "The key to happiness is good health and a bad memory." Kidding

In all seriousness though. You were given the freedom of choice to think however you want. You can choose to think negatively and adversely affect your endorphin levels , your stress level will rise, your immune system won't be as strong , ect.

You'll end up training your mind on a subconscious level to look at the negative side of things which may have already happened but you can turn it around with a little work on your thoughts.

Choose to think positively , choose to be thankful , listen to music that brings your mood up ,not down. Workout, eat healthy. Everything is your choice. As everyone said it comes from within. Get those endorphins up naturally not artificially with meds or drug abuse. That will magnify the problem down the road.

I used to be a debbie downer in highschool and the movie "the secret" as cheesy as it is, actually changed my whole outlook on life. Go read about the conscious and subconscious . It will open your eyes to a lot of things you never even thought or knew about.

You can't choose the hand you're dealt but you can choose how to play it :)

#14     Jan 12, 2012
  5. slumdog

slumdog

Happiness

Fantastic song from the '60s.

The first time i heard ken dodd sing this song i was still a kid, 30 years ago, it never gets old and my own kids still love it today.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4a5vaIsaxB8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift that I possess
    I thank the Lord that I've been blessed
    With more than my share of happiness

To me this world is a wonderful place
    I'm the luckiest human in the human race
    I've got no silver and I've got no gold
    But I've got happiness in my soul

Happiness to me is an ocean tide
    A sunset fading on a mountain side
    A big old heaven full of stars up above
    When I'm in the arms of the one I love

I thank the Lord that I've been blessed

Happiness is a field of grain
    Turning it's face to the falling rain
    I see it in the sunshine, I breathe it in the air
    Happiness happiness everywhere

A wise old man told me one time
    Happiness is a frame of mind
    When you go to measuring a man's success
    Don't count money count happiness

I thank the Lord I've been blessed

I thank the Lord I've been blessed

#15     Jan 12, 2012
  6. There's a rainbow. One end of it has all the gold in the world. The other end has all the things gold can't buy. Knowing rainbows don't last, which end would you go for?

#16     Jan 15, 2012
  7. hkrahra

hkrahra

Neither one.I`ll be sitting on the rainbow.

#17     Jan 15, 2012
  8. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

I think it's possible to achieve both. Life is all about balance. But balance does not mean complacency either.

#18     Jan 16, 2012
  9. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

I think happiness is divided as you say into the present self, and the remembering self.

The present self is "happy" when it is feeling no pain, no anxiety, is calm and peaceful, feels free and unencumbered but safe and secure, and is mildly but not overly stimulated. In other words, it is like a little baby.

The remembering self is happy when it feels a sense of accomplishment, progress, and "meaning" by reflecting on the past.

The present self therefore, I think, drives this yearning for material wealth. The more materials you can obtain, the more comfortable you will feel, i.e., less physical pain. You will also feel less anxious and more secure because you don't have to worry too much about how to feed, clothe, and shelter yourself and your family in the future. You will also feel free and unencumbered because you don't have to depend on anyone.

Often people fool themselves into thinking that material wealth can also satisfy the remembering self, but I believe that is not the case. The remembering self may value material possession because of what he or she went through to obtain those things (achievement, progress), and not the things themselves.

I believe materialism does not necessarily lead to an unhappy remembering self but it often does because so many of us spend too much time on it and spend little to no time on anything else. So I think if you don't set aside time to "create meaning" in your life, then your remembering self will be unhappy.

#19     Jan 16, 2012
  10. Everyone is born healthy, barring some congenital condition or malnutrition in utero. It takes very little effort to remain healthy through your 20s and 30s. The trick is to increase strenuous activity as you age as well as constantly improve your diet and add supplements that decline in production (in vivo) as we age. Motivation to stay on the plan (critical) and discretionary spending to acquire the supplements. The activity alone will allow you to maintain excellent bone density. Don't smoke and don't drink(heavily).

All problems are the result of laziness, and consequently, all success is the result of effort.

#20     Jan 16, 2012