Happiness is working for yourself

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Free Thinker, Apr 13, 2006.

1. I agree with them experts , especially working from home .:)

2. Cheese

Cheese

How many on ET either never really made it or if young enough would prefer to be a highly paid office stiff?

From very early on I was a big shot office stiff and it sure as hell has its upside and pleasures - big fat leather chair, plush office, chauffeur limousine, top business lunches, office power and parading around as Mr Big. But on the other hand you can always have lots of business and office politics stressing the living horsesh*t out of everyone and at Board level and the higher level in general you have plenty of the dickheads who are smooth on talk and short on results. I was a hands on chief executive with always a take-no-prisoners approach to push up revenue and profits.

But I prefer to be my own entrepreneur. Its a question of temperament and the goddamn willingness to choose and run your own life. Doesn't matter how you dress it up, people in general live as clones. They need the mental box which prescribes their lives in employment and which gives them fixed compass points. They are not free wheeling.

You cannot be free and independent unless you decide and ACT to become free and independent.
    :)

3. GTG

GTG

Those rare occasions when I happen to venture out into morning or evening rush-hour traffic are when I most appreciate being self-employed and working from home. All those frustrated angry people honking their horns, risking life and limb to zoom past me on my right just to move up 3 cars and get stuck again...it always strikes me as so futile and sad. I'm thankful that I have to waste my time in that mess only a few times a month instead of everyday.

That hour or so every day that I don't spend driving adds up to a lot of time. It's almost like having an extra half day to a full day every week to spend on learning, working, or leisure.

Most of the corporate stiffs I know who make about the same amount of money as me drive nicer cars and live in nicer houses though. They go out to dinner at nice places more often then me and in general spend more profligately. They have the luxury of living pay-check to pay-check, which is a luxury I just can't afford. What if business conditions change? What if I lose a big client tomorrow? What if I get a big contract and have to forgo paying myself for a few months to pay the up-front costs?

Because of this uncertainty, I feel that every extra dollar above living expenses has to be saved and invested to generate additional income streams, and therefore I have to live without the material goods that many of my peers enjoy.

This is a sacrifice that is easy to make however. I don't need a fancy car because I only drive once or twice a week anyway. (Sometimes I go so long without driving that my battery dies.) Who needs to take expensive vacations when on any afternoon that the weather is good I can just grab my surfboard and walk down to the beach? And, who needs to go out to expensive restaurants when I have the extra time to prepare a gourmet meal myself almost every day?

4. The great thing about life is that there is room for everybody. Working for someone else is no disgrace and many people prefer it. Its a great system. If everybody worked for themselves how the hell would we get a hamburger when we need it?

5. moam293

moam293

well it all depends on how much money you get,
    after all money buys happiness until it cant anymore

6. Quark

Quark

Yeah, but happiness can't buy money.

7. moam293

moam293

yup thats the bummer

8. The freedom that professional trading for a living gives makes this occupation far and above others in terms of liberties...

A very successful individual that is the CEO of a company may buy $5,000,000 homes in the world´s most beautiful settings...but they can only use them on a very limited basis...

A professional trader can live there if they choose to do so....

9. lwlee

lwlee

Yep, I'm in. Don't know if I will make it since I've been in it for only few months full time.

But I can say that corporate life is not for independent thinkers. Not that I was very independent, I endured the 9-5 grind for 9 years.

Man, I hope this works out....

#10     Apr 16, 2006