Happiest memory (thus far) of trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pinetboltz, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Handle123

Handle123

Accomplishing areas that others said I should never do or can't be done profitably.
    Keeping an open mind has lead me to discover nuances that I have never read anywhere, but most likely done by others.

#11     Mar 13, 2019
  2. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

lol, that sounds rather nebulous

#12     Mar 13, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. I haven't yet had this feeling. But I'm aiming for it.

#13     Mar 13, 2019
  4. tommo

tommo

I've had so many, but usually met with something sour to match the sweetness

Happy: Getting hired into a prop group for the first time in 2005
    Not So Happy: Seeing there are no big secrets handed to you on a plate, you have to work hard and learn from the right people

Happy: Having my first edge and knowing i will come in every day and make money.
    Not So Happy: The fact edges go and when they're gone you're back at ground zero and have to build everything again.

Happy: My best month was 100k, even though that wasn't my net pay after costs and profit split was a huge milestone
    Not So Happy: Losing 20k on my first day at a new firm!

There were so many more, the financial crash of 2008 stands out though, to be at the center of a major political/economic event and watching it all unfold and be involved was an adrenaline rush ive never felt since. People were becoming millionares in a week, and losing everything too.

#14     Mar 13, 2019
    tenny1886, bpr, CSEtrader and 3 others like this.
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I'm at IB: all the fancy-ass aps on other platforms? On IB, you make it by hand, or you go without. (OR, you swap out $10k and ship it over to ToS, eTrade, etc., until that no longer does the job...) Bottom line? *Lots* of "Heyyyyy! Look what I built!" moments are possible. :)

#15     Mar 13, 2019
  6. So true.

#16     Mar 13, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  7. $80K in two months

#17     Mar 13, 2019
    CSEtrader likes this.
  8. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

interesting perspective, just curious:
    - after your best month, did you feel like it could be replicated? or did it seem like a 'perfect storm' in the markets where everything had to be aligned?
    - the people who made it in 1 week/ lost it all in 2008...what are they up to nowadays?

#18     Mar 13, 2019
  9. Sonny2010

Sonny2010

Making 5 figures in a day and knowing why. That was when I realized it'd be worth the market tuition to learn how to do it repeatedly.

#19     Mar 13, 2019
    Pekelo, tenny1886 and CSEtrader like this.
  10. slacker

slacker

In 1999 I started to use a new software package called LeoWeb. I thought it was so great because I did not have to talk to an order desk to place an order. Also my commissions started to fall from $30 a ticket.
    I was sure the market was going down and I filled in the LeoWeb with the order info to sell at the market 1 S&P (large contract).... LeoWeb beeped and a quick look at the screen I thought the error was I did not have the date correct, so I quickly added another "9" to the screen. Send it! In seconds orders started to arrive.
    1 FILLED AT XXX
    2 FILLED AT XXXX
    1 FILLED AT XXX
    4 FILLED AT XXX
    I looked at the order and saw that my order said SELL 19 S&P MKT!!!!
    Holly shit..
    I hit the speed-dialer and called the OBrien trade desk....
    "IN ACCOUNT 434333 BUY 19 S&P AT THE MARKET!"
    The trader repeated the order back:
    YES!!!!
    "I am sorry, you don't have enough buying power for even 1 contract...."
    "I NEED TO GET FLAT RIGHT NOW!!! I AM SHORT 19 NOW. GET ME FLAT!"
    "But you don't have the buying power, how can I do this???"

"LOOK ASSHOLE, YOU SOLD ME THE POSITION JUST SECONDS AGO. MY BUYING POWER DID NOT CHANGE..."

Desk: "WHAT ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID!!!!!"

"YES, I LIVE IN MY CAR --- HAVE NO MONEY -- AND IN ANOTHER MINUTE Obrien IS GOING TO BE SHORT 19 S&P BECAUSE i AM GOING TO HANG UP!!!!!"

The desk trader looked at my account...

"YES! FUCKING BUY THAT BITCH!!!!!"

"YOUR ACCOUNT IS NOW CLOSED"

1 FILLED AT XXX
    2 FILLED AT XXXX
    1 FILLED AT XXX
    4 FILLED AT XXX

It took much longer to get out than to get me in. In minutes it looked like I was flat. I called the trading desk several times to check and double-check that I was flat.

I sat in my chair for 30 minutes without moving anything.

I thought I was ok, it looked like orders matched ok, but I was not sure.

The market closed and my account balances were updated.

19 CONTRACTS SOLD AT XXXX; 19 CONTRACTS BOUGHT AT XXXX;

When my contracts hit the market there was a short wave of selling which took the prices down.
    I called to cover immediately.
    The prices hit support and did a vertical climb straight up; it would have killed me.

My P&L for the day was a positive $3645!!! All took place within minutes start to finish. The best trade I had made since I started trading.

I am sure there was a software bug in LeoWeb that allowed me to trade 19 contracts and then not let me exit the position...

Happy memory indeed---- it could have been very different.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    #20     Mar 13, 2019