Hang Seng

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by BlueStar, Dec 23, 2002.

1. def

def Sponsor

I think you should be ok.

FYI, much of the afternoon volatility had to do with a confirmed case of SARS in Guangzhou (southern china, just over the HK border), expiration, and year end. A surprisingly active day.

#41     Dec 30, 2003
  2. tcosync

tcosync

Def,

Will IB also consider offering other Simex products, like the popular MSCI Taiwan & SiMSCI futures, in addition to the Nikkei 225. If Im not wrong, all these contracts already have electronic versions (ETS) currently trading although TW & Nikkei primarily trade in the pit.

Regards

#42     Dec 30, 2003
  3. Must be paradise for a good scalper.

#43     Dec 30, 2003
  4. def

def Sponsor

I imagine we will as long as there is interest. Right now it doesn't make economic sense for us to offer them.

#44     Dec 30, 2003
  5. Ratios

Ratios

Hello.

Due to the fact that most of the volume and interest is in the Simex Nikkei225 and MSCI Taiwan open outcry... the current Electronic versions are hardly worth watching.

The SiMSCI is not really a good market as the liquidity is flaky. I have seen many times when price would torpedo one way only to quickly reverse as it wasn't a real breakout but simply a lack of bids/offers. Averages 2k volume a day for this product. Very small market.

I think the Taiwan is decent but the range contraction has been very obvious. Gone were the good old days of Taiwan where it could hit Limit up and down fairly often.

The Simex NK225 is probably the best product in Simex for indexes. I'm personally taking SiMSCI out of my watchlist.
    Of course all the above is my opinion only. :)

Ratios

#45     Dec 30, 2003
  6. Ratios

Ratios

Oh... forgot to mention that I'm watching the Mini Hang Seng with much interest. :) Checked this thread hoping to find others.

Ratios

#46     Dec 30, 2003
  7. HK stocks rise despite SARS fears, H-shares shine
    Reuters, 12.30.03, 4:16 AM ET

ADVERTISEMENT

Mortgage Services from Homebound Mortgage

Apply For A Mortgage
    Today’s Mortgage Rates
    Home Equity
    Mortgage Calculator
    Free Credit Report
    FHA & VA Mortgage Loans
    Buyers Calculator
    How Much Can You Borrow?
    Should I Refinance?
    Low Home Equity Rates

Please enter your name and email to begin:

Name:

Email:

Click 'Continue' to complete your subscription order.

(Adds close, key stocks, comment)

By Tara Joseph

HONG KONG, Dec 30 (Reuters) - Leading Hong Kong stocks climbed higher on Tuesday with China shares shining, though talk of a suspected SARS case across the border hurt retail and travel-related stocks.

The benchmark Hang Seng Index ended up 0.50 percent, or 62.45 points, at 12,526.74. The index eased from higher levels reached in morning trade on worries a suspected SARS case may soon be confirmed.

"SARS is affecting sentiment even though it won't be easy to have an outbreak in Hong Kong so the impact is not that strong," said Kenny Tang associate director at Tung Tai securities.

Shares in retailers popular with the growing number of mainland Chinese tourists were hard hit.

Discount cosmetic retailer Sa Sa International Holdings fell 3.53 percent to HK$2.05, while Bonjour Holdings Ltd fell 5.05 percent to close at HK$1.88. Jeweller Hang Fung Gold Technology Ltd shed 3.03 percent to HK$1.60.

China's largest carrier, China Southern Airlines Co Ltd also fell, losing 3.73 percent to HK$3.225, though Hong Kong's dominant carrier Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd gained 0.34 percent to close at HK$14.60.

Traders said fears over a return of SARS in Hong Kong centred on a possible slowing of mainland Chinese tourists to Hong Kong. A sharp rise in mainland visitors has provided a strong boost to the territory's economy.

H-shares, or Chinese companies listed in Hong Kong, continued to outperform the broader market, jumping 2.57 percent, or 122.21 points to 4883.33.

The H-share index has more than doubled this year, beating a near 35 percent rise in the Hang Seng Index.

"It seems like everyone has gone mad. Investors don't want to be the last kid on the block and miss this party," said Francis Lun, general manager of Fulbright Securities.

Oil giant PetroChina Ltd, the most heavily weighted stock on the index, extended Monday's gain with a surge of 6.13 percent to HK$4.325.

Another energy heavyweight, Sinopec Corp, Asia's largest refiner, rallied 7.32 percent to HK$3.3 after the company said on Tuesday it would buy two units from its parent for 356 million yuan ($43 million).

The acquisitions, to be funded with cash from its internal resources, will help boost the firm's asphalt and refining capacity.

Trading volume was heavy with HK$21.9 billion ($2.8 billion) changing hands, compared to HK$14 billion on Monday. Traders said activity was punctuated by the expiry of futures contracts, though volume may thin out on Wednesday when Hong Kong markets will close at midday. They will reopen on Friday after the New Year holiday.

A rally in H-share freshman China Life Insurance Co Ltd finally ran out of steam with the shares ending unchanged at HK$6.40 after touching an intraday high of HK$7.05 on strong demand from institutional investors.

China Life shares, which began trading several weeks ago in the world's largest IPO this year, have gained 78 percent from their debut price of HK$3.59.

Elsewhere, HSBC Holdings Plc, the largest stock by market capitalisation, slipped 0.41 percent to HK$122 after it said it will buy half of China's Fujian Asia Bank Ltd for up to $20 million to expand in China. The shares had risen as high as HK$123 in intraday trade, touching a new high for the year.

Market players said earnings contributions from the newly acquired lender would be meagre, but HSBC could capitalise gains if China further opened its financial sector.

On the downside, investors continued to punish CNOOC Ltd after the giant oil producer said its 2004 production will fall short of target.

CNOOC extended Monday's four percent loss to dip 3.11 percent to HK$15.60. ($1=HK$7.795)

Copyright 2003, Reuters News Service

#47     Dec 30, 2003
  8. bebe

bebe

Just a snapshot from two nites ago: typical Hang Seng action.
    A little pump right after the open - followed by a 230pts drop in 30 minutes. Without a good trading plan and a good execution platform you can be dead in no time. The wild, wild East! :D

#48     Dec 30, 2003
  9. bebe

bebe

Here is the chart:

• hs5.gif
      File size:
      13.2 KB
      Views:
    #49     Dec 30, 2003
  10. bebe,

Nice looking chart, what are you using?

#50     Dec 30, 2003