Handling Gaps that go Against you -- trading strategies?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by KCalhoun, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Normally we don't encounter huge gaps in forex,
    back when i used to swing trade, i would to take off 80% of my positions at key levels on Friday and leave the rest floating with stop loss at breakeven.

#11     Sep 13, 2021
    KCalhoun likes this.
  2. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Traded em correctly today :D

#12     Sep 13, 2021
  3. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Right, now I'm focusing on UVXY TZA for inverse daytrading and SOXL for long bias.

Market did exactly what I said it was which is a false breakout upside morning bounce followed by lots of selling, just like Friday - piece of freaking cake. Will aggressively trade UVXY if afternoon run again :D

#13     Sep 13, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. %%
    I'm wanting to buy some UDOW, this SEPT;
    but SDOW is looking better aboVe 50dma\SEPT.:D:D

#14     Sep 14, 2021
  5. I place hard stops the night before to protect my capital. 99% of the time it works great but occasionally an overnight gap causes a bigger than planned for loss. It's just part of trading and needs to be built into my overall money and risk management strategy. If a gap loss is too big to stomach, that tells me I'm trading too big.

#15     Oct 8, 2021
    murray t turtle and KCalhoun like this.
  6. easymon1

easymon1

Three Gap Play
    Gold Minahs AU

#16     Dec 8, 2021
  7. %%
    Exactly;
    most gaps favor the main trend, usually. Even with single stocks i allowed for a 50% gap against me ,even though i was blessed not to have that happen\happens a lot if enough charts are noted .........................................................................................................ON ETFs like QLD+UPRO, splv....... i do it different, since most stops get hit.
    A bigger gap than expected can help with hard stops ,SQQQ also.

#17     Dec 8, 2021