handgun[s] idea

Discussion in 'Politics' started by marcoPolo21, Sep 18, 2015.

1. first let me say,
    I'm the owner of at least 3 handguns [i can't even remember exactly how many!],
    and have no desire to get rid of them.
    I simply wish there were fewer handguns floating around...

here's my [simple] idea on Handgun control - for the future:

1. make it illegal to manufacture handguns in the USA

2. make it illegal to sell handguns in the USA

3. make it illegal to purchase handguns in the USA

[not sure if #3 is possible, legally]

4. make it illegal to export handguns from the USA

5. make it illegal to import handguns into the USA

that's it, nothing else...

a. the 2nd amendment stays the same
    b. this does not apply to rifles

the idea is, through attrition over the coming decades,
    there would be fewer and fewer handguns that would be in the hands of children, criminals etc etc

now, if someone wants a handgun bad enough, they will acquire one,
    but so what, nothing is perfect

marc ;)
    :cool:
    :eek:

2. HOGWASH!

Doesn't matter "how illegal" guns are made, the bad guys will always have them... whatever the cost.

The general citizenry needs to have access to the same kind of weapons as the bad guys (including the government!)

That is, if the government, criminals, terrorists have AKs or M4s and the citizens have "black power musket loaders", the citizens are effectively unarmed.

3. the guns aren't illegal, not even the owning of them, only the Manufacturing of them, etc

with all due respect,
    i don't think you thought through what i posted

marc
    :)

4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Explain to us how banning handguns in the U.K. reduced violent gun crime.

Oh, it didn't... violent gun crime went up 49% immediately.

5. i should have made it clear-er

it's still Legal to own a handgun - under my new laws

fewer and fewer handguns would be manufactured, going forward, that's all;
    it's that simple

marc

6. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

You just want to make it illegal to buy, sell or manufacture a handgun. This is the same thing as a ban.

7. i could be wrong,
    but i don't see a ban in what i wrote

please explain how it's a ban -
    if i made a mistake i will gladly admit it

it's still Legal to Own a handgun

marc

8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So it's illegal to manufacture one under your laws, ok. It's illegal to buy and sell one, which makes it illegal to sell guns in circulation. Please tell me how that will prevent someone who wants to commit murder from buying a gun illegally from someone selling it illegally (because prices on guns will skyrocket and make them worth risking the misdemeanor). Do you think they'll be willing to risk the capital offense but not the misdemeanor?

What does your solution accomplish?

9. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

My son leaves home and buys a house. He wants to be able to defend his family and carry a handgun because the home is in a not-so-great neighborhood. Explain to me how he will buy a handgun and who would sell it to him. He effectively is banned from getting a handgun even if they are "legal".

What you are proposing is no different than a ban on handguns.

10. I believe your intentions are good, but your plan won't work. It will create a huge black market for guns and the criminal element doesn't give two shits about buying/selling "illegal" guns or anything else. Over time the criminal element will be very well armed and the average law biding citizen will not have a hand gun for personal protection. Carrying around a shotgun or rifle personal protection would be problematic.
    Violence and killing isn't a gun problem, it's a human problem and some humans are prone to violence. Simple as that.

#10     Sep 18, 2015