Hall of fame threads

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Peternam, Sep 28, 2013.

1. benwm

benwm

I would suggest some additional quality control or "pruning" of the list, perhaps eliminating 5-10%. A couple of duds slipped through the net for various reasons. There was one software thread in particular that was added (the last post was 2004 and software of course has changed somewhat since then!).

Maybe if a minimum of three 100+ posters vote to remove/add a thread, and with Baron having the final say to overrule, then you might be able to keep the list current whilst keeping the core of the original list in place.

In particular, I would suggest removing three lists...
    Backtesting Software (#56):-
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33025

Whilst the following two threads showed promise they died an early death:-
    Automated Trading Course - Part 1: Programming
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=248926

Automated Trading Course - Part 2: Writing Strategies
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=249314

#11     Oct 14, 2013
  2. FXforex

FXforex

benwm .... I think the idea of the "Hall of fame threads" is for the entertainment of reading good quality historical threads, not to get current info.

#12     Oct 14, 2013
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Ok, those 3 duds have been removed. Thanks for the feedback. :)

If there are any others that should be removed, and if there are any new threads that need to be added at any point, just let me know.

#13     Oct 14, 2013
  4. benwm

benwm

Another idea might be to keep the "active" Hall of Fame threads at the top of the list. In the same way that threads that get updated move to the top of the "Discussion Threads with Recent Posts".

A small change perhaps, but one that can bring old threads that still have relevance back to life.

#14     Oct 29, 2013
  5. deucy28

deucy28

Would like to see the Hall of Fame list of threads that was on the Home Page I think in 2013 and/or 2014. I think it would be good for ET.

#15     May 12, 2015
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

7. i960

i960

Baron is there any way we can get a like option for the thread itself? Perhaps right next to the "Follow This Thread" button (e.g. Like This Thread)? I know there was some mention of thread ratings being present in the past and that being abused - but this is not rating, just like-only. This would allow people who find a thread to be meaningful and quality to upvote it such that it might be used to gain more visibility.

Think: threads being automatically added to a hall of fame list based on the aggregate unique likeing of a thread. I think the hall of fame list is a good start but it has the potential to go stale.

#17     Jun 20, 2015
  8. kut2k2

kut2k2

#18     Jun 20, 2015
  9. i960

i960

You're promoting your own thread for hall of fame? Not that the content is crap or anything but the entjre point here is on hall of fameness being based on the multiple positive reactions by others.

#19     Jun 20, 2015
  10. benwm

benwm

+1 Original concept is that others have to vote up a thread. Someone can always a create a fake alias and get around this if they're really determined but the idea is to pick other posters threads.

kut2k2...one of ET's more interesting and informative posters...but a thread that starts with a long equation and ends on the third page possibly wouldn't have made the final cut for the original list. If it's any consolation, Raging Bull, lost Best Picture to Ordinary People. That's no slight on Robert De Niro either.

It would great to see an updated version of HoF. The likes suggestion would be one of the more democratic ways of doing it. There are many great threads not in the HoF list that have come to light later on.

#20     Jun 20, 2015