Halftime in America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Don't want to get in the middle of your discussion, but are these not the same arguments that are being made for the purchase of Chinese products? I'm not even saying that is a bad thing, I'm just saying that without all the rules and regulations, all of our retailers/middlemen and all the rest could save money. As in buying at Walmart.

Is there something wrong in my comparison?

c

#71     Feb 15, 2012
  2. jem

jem

you presented models.

I presented the proof that after mellon and kennedy tax cuts revenues went up. Your link confirmed it.

Your link stated that revenues were up more in their models.. but they were citing models I cited actually tax revenues.

#72     Feb 15, 2012
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Sort of. Cheap imports keep inflation down and make the dollar go farther. Problem is, they do so at the expense of American manufacturing/engineering/managerial jobs that migrate overseas, which puts downward pressure on wages.

Not sure what you're driving at here

#73     Feb 15, 2012
  4. achilles28

achilles28

+1

#74     Feb 15, 2012
  5. Brass

Brass

Sorry, but you did not comprehend what you were presented with. This brings us to an impasse because I'm not a special needs tutor.

#75     Feb 16, 2012
  6. Brass

Brass

I think it's interesting that you should point to examples that are contextually very different from those in the US, while simultaneously ignoring the very real examples that US economic history provides regarding the effects of tax cuts. What was that about obfuscating?

#76     Feb 16, 2012
  7. Basically, just that if our store owners, distributors, drop-ship type of businesses just bought products from China instead of the U.S., they would likely save money, sell their wares cheaper and keep the same profit margins.

When and if we become more isolationist, and get back to buy American, then some of this would change. Almost as if we treated American companies on American soil as start-ups who may need some subsidy. I know that's a bad word, but with Federal Subsidies where would the American Farming community be? Being paid to not plant various things, and all that.

Brings me to the 'paying people to not work' concern that some have with unemployment. Similar deal with farmers, and the gigantic companies involved who get paid to not plant.

c

#77     Feb 16, 2012
  8. achilles28

achilles28

Context is everything. That's the point. The ingredients to wealth creation aren't unique to America. Why would they be? Economic principles are universal and so is the recipe for growth.

#78     Feb 16, 2012
  9. jem

jem

I will chunk this down for you.

taxes revenues went up after kennedy and mellon tax cuts, yes or no.
    answer yes or no?

your article compared those increases to a baseline which was created by a model which modeled the idea the tax cuts did not happen.

yes or no?

I will cut and paste your quote next.

#79     Feb 16, 2012
  10. jem

jem

Could you be any more ridiculous. I take your quote from slate magazine and show you tax revenues went up after tax cuts and you still lie.

here is the final line of your quote...

"Shorthand: The tax cuts did pay for themselves a little bit by inducing growth, but not nearly enough to pay for themselves entirely..."

do you know what that means.

Tax revenues went up, but not as much as the lefty modeled wanted.

Read it again and again the baseline is established by a model in which the tax cuts did not happen.

here is another quote...

"lowered overall revenue, relative to a baseline where the tax cuts did not happen."

That means

1. the tax cuts paid for themselves because revenue increased, just not as much as the lefty model wanted.

2. the baseline was established by a model...

3. . you quote also says the cuts increased receipts from richer families... which if you check the states created an overall increase in tax revenues. Just as supply side theory and experience predict and illustrate.

here is your quote form the slate....

"...Both the Kennedy and Mellon tax-cut packages actually lowered overall revenue, relative to a baseline where the tax cuts did not happen. They just increased some receipts from richer families. Take a Congressional Budget Office analysis of the Kennedy-era cuts. No studies "showed that the increased economic activity generated by the tax cut raised revenues and lowered countercyclical transfer payments enough to make the tax-rate reductions self-financing," it wrote in 1978. "Instead, the models showed a net increase in the federal deficit, after three years, of $5 billion to $13 billion," versus models where the tax cuts never took effect. Shorthand: The tax cuts did pay for themselves a little bit by inducing growth, but not nearly enough to pay for themselves entirely..."

#80     Feb 16, 2012