Halftime in America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

So for today, if we lower taxes and regulations, business will have enough cash to start hiring and, when the consumer is done deleveraging, the sales will follow?

#51     Feb 15, 2012
  2. Brass

Brass

Do let us know when you come to a decision.

#52     Feb 15, 2012
  3. Brass

Brass

#53     Feb 15, 2012
  4. achilles28

achilles28

This is why nobody takes you seriously.

Just answer the question.

1) If the Government taxed 90% of your wages, would you still work?

2) If Government taxed 10% of your wages, would still work?

3) Under what condition would you work harder and longer? 1 or 2?

If you won't answer that, you're intellectually dishonest and there's no point continuing this discussion.

#54     Feb 15, 2012
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Did you even listen to the last 20 seconds?

#55     Feb 15, 2012
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

My advice, put said person on ignore like I did. You're just wasting your breath as they will never engage you on any fact based argument.

#56     Feb 15, 2012
  7. achilles28

achilles28

This is nonsense.

The biggest culprit is moral hazard. The Greenspan put. That's why Banks geared themselves to the level they did. Bailouts are Government intervention of the highest order.

Under any economic system (high regulation/tax / or low regulation/tax), bubble and busts happen. But they happen with much greater frequency and magnitude under systems with high regulation/fractional reserve banking.

Again, you're off topic. Please stay on topic.

#57     Feb 15, 2012
  8. Brass

Brass

And so you're this "nobody?" I'm okay with that.

You have no concept of the real world, which fortunately operates somewhere between your absurd extremes. Life is about balance. Get some.

#58     Feb 15, 2012
  9. Brass

Brass

Right. I present real world historical examples via the links while your guy speaks in imaginary hypotheticals, and I'm the one who's lacking a fact-based argument? Yes, please do continue to keep me on ignore and be sure to tell all your friends.

#59     Feb 15, 2012
  10. achilles28

achilles28

No, man. If we lower taxes and regulation, the breakeven point for business becomes lower, more business are started (profit-motive), more goods are produced, prices drop, consumers buy more for every dollar spent = living standards go up. That assumes all other things are equal.

So given todays environment, if we dropped taxes and regulation tomorrow, more jobs would be created and prices would drop *RELATIVE TO* had we kept regulations and taxes where they are today.

See? We're comparing two identical economic environments, but changing only 1) Taxes and 2) Regulations.

#60     Feb 15, 2012