Halftime in America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, Feb 15, 2012.

1. achilles28

achilles28

You're obfuscating.

Since you'd rather argue than debate, tell me - do you give all your money to charity?

#41     Feb 15, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

So there was a massive labor exodus from the economy in 2008 because there was a massive increase in taxes and regulations which reduced business profits to record lows?

#42     Feb 15, 2012
  3. Brass

Brass

No, sir. That would be you. I presented you with historical and economic fact. All else is whimsy.

#43     Feb 15, 2012
  4. achilles28

achilles28

History? Okay. Try the Soviet Union, Africa, India, China before 1980, South America, Mexico, the Phillipeans, Indonesia. History has demonstrated quite aptly that the ability to keep what one earns, is overwhelming correlated to wealth creation, the rise of living standards, and GDP growth (all the same shit). I wonder why? Do you work for free, Brass? Do you give all your money away to charity, because unlike the rest of the planet, you're an altruist? Please stay on topic.

#44     Feb 15, 2012
  5. achilles28

achilles28

You didn't present me with anything. Where are your "facts"? Where are you examples?

You presented a statement and backed it up with nothing.

#45     Feb 15, 2012
  6. Brass

Brass

*Sigh*

Relevant history:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...8&highlight=jem+tax+cuts+revenues#post3428058

http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...x_cuts_ever_increase_government_revenues.html

(This must be the 3rd time I posted these links in this thread.)

#46     Feb 15, 2012
  7. achilles28

achilles28

No, but there was an implosion from a FED-induced real estate bubble which caused people to mortgage and speculate their futures, to which they lost, and are still on the hook for the debt. Hence, the reduction in consumption, from which most wages (of those employed) are directed towards paying down mortgage debt (which is destroyed by banks), instead of being spent into the real economy, to generate economic activity.

What you and Brass are doing is exactly what Maverick said - confusing supply-side with demand-side. Demand side caused 2008. Not lower taxes (supply-side). Yes, lower regulation (Glass Stegal) was a big culprit. However, had it not been for an even larger degree of Government intervention (the Greenspan Put), Banks wouldn't have leveraged themselves anywhere near the point they did.

#47     Feb 15, 2012
  8. achilles28

achilles28

I'll respond to this in a bit. Not that any of this changes human nature.

Please answer my questions I asked you. Twice already. You keep dodging them.

1) Do you work for free?

2) Do you give all your wages to charity?

3) Why do you keep any of your wages, at all?

#48     Feb 15, 2012
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

I would respond with a "BINGO" but a certain busy body Canadian has forbidden
    me from doing so. Hey gabby, is it OK if I say "you hit the nail on the head"?

#49     Feb 15, 2012
  10. Brass

Brass

As a matter of policy, I do not answer rhetorical questions.

#50     Feb 15, 2012