Half way through life and not close to being consistent

Discussion in 'Journals' started by gamblingman, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Because I am new to contacting people, O don't have the option to contact through private messages..Try contacting me...Ill contact the moderator in the mean time

#211     Aug 1, 2014
  2. Great recovery week, up 27k3. Green again for the year but more importantly I'm out of almost all my short market positions. Here's what's left on my short market: 1 long VX future, 3 covered NQs, 1 covered ES (all short) and 400 short SSO. I freed up over 50k in margin when I closed most of my remaining SPYs and ES positions today, so big margin reduction for me. Going forward cause my short market is almost non existent I will mix investments, options and short market into a single line, not worth doing the math every day and breaking it out. Definitely happy about being back in the game and now I can focus on what this thread was supposed to cover. For the remaining 5 month I'm trying to get to 60k in additional gains and shed 17 more pounds.

Here are today's results:
    Auto Trades: -2184
    Short Market: 2280
    Investments: 500
    Other Option Positions: 701 (biggest gainers: ISRG, WAG)

#212     Aug 1, 2014
  3. Good trading day. I've had 7 winning days in the last 8 days, so my confidence is definitely coming back. I got lucky that I closed most of my short market positions on Friday, I'd have been pretty mad after today's up move, although I think it'll be short lived.

I barely traded today (about 10 auto trades and 8 closes and rolls) had a big hang over after having way too many margaritas last night.
    The best trades today was a manual pairs trade (short 16 IWM puts short 24 QQQ calls), CMG and WAG. I'm short a WAG 71.5/75 straddle and this thing has not come in until today cause of a volatility explosion, even though it'll expire in 4 days.

Auto Trades: -1013
    Everything else: 2361 (biggest winners WAG, IWM/QQQ, CMG)

#213     Aug 4, 2014
  4. Very well done. Great recovery.
    As I am myself deep into learning psychology/spirituality, I seem to have noticed that you are going through huge emotional rollercoasters ?

I wonder if you have tried one of those and compared it to the emotions you seem to find ( aka seek) when trading :

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9yFvlcw8YtY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#214     Aug 4, 2014
  5. I love rollercoasters but not in trading. (unless it is subconscious, so you may have a point). I do like the excitement of the opening bell/open market, so there's definitely a little bit of that. What I've learned collaborating with other traders initially here in this forum but then more via PMs and phone/skype, is that my quest for total return was completely ignoring risk and to some degree common sense position sizing. I think if you compare it to poker it was almost like being on tilt where you think you've the odds in your favor but keep losing and keep betting bigger and bigger for no reason. I think I ended up with a lot of my S&P position via revenge trades. In the end it is a marathon (and a fun one) and not a sprint. Going forward I will continue to post on the one hand as a reminder what got me here in the first place but also cause some of the feedback helped me get back on track.

#215     Aug 4, 2014
  6. Great trading day today. My auto trades hit it out of the park today, great performance.
    I got super lucky in Walgreens today. I closed the trade when WAG was up slightly. When I looked at it at the end of the day it was down quite a lot, so this could have hurt.
    I'm getting close to eliminating more of my short position, next on the list are the SSO shares. On one hand I'm a little mad that I couldn't profit more from this down move, on the other hand the memories of the melt up (and the pain I had to handle) are still very fresh !!!

Auto Trades: 5051
    Everything else: 1560

#216     Aug 5, 2014
  7. Unreal trading results. 1 down day in the last 10 trading days, all other days have been really good. Three weeks ago I couldn't have a green day if my life depended on it. Now I'm not even trying and have good results.

Auto Trades: 1742
    Everything else: 6820

#217     Aug 6, 2014
  8. Well milk it as much as you can while the times are good!
    Philosophy when the times are lean. So now not the moment of
    philosophying.
    :):):)

#218     Aug 6, 2014
  9. Mo06

Mo06

Well done, but it does seem to indicate that you have a short bias, so may be a good idea to take a more objective view of the markets.

#219     Aug 7, 2014
  10. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying if anyone looks at the market objectively one has to be long? How would the longs be able to trade if that's the only truth, who would trade with them ;)

If we drop 30 more S&P points my "subjective" view will be very neutral, as a matter of fact I'm already mostly neutral I got rid of my SSO position yesterday, so now I only have 1 ES 1 VX and 3 NQs lefts, and all of them are covered positions (short future, short puts). 30 S&P points or a VIX > 19 and I'll be out completely. Should we drop below 1850 I'll actually be getting long.

#220     Aug 7, 2014
    neke likes this.