Half The Country's Mortgages Are Underwater

Discussion in 'Economics' started by DT-waw, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jprad

jprad

You might not be interested, but as long as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac continue to exist as GSE's and continue to get money from the government you, me and everybody else are already bailing out homeowners, and we all will continue to do it for a long time coming.

#21     Nov 10, 2011
  2. the landlord business is not for everyone. it's a headache dealing with tenants. and in texas, where land is cheap and they're constantly building, your rental unit will be outclassed by newer units very soon.

also don't forget about the cost of wear and tear. i found that rental properties wear down 5 times faster than the house i live in. tenants don't give a shit about the carpet, walls or appliances.

i was a landlord for many years. IT SUCKS ASS

#22     Nov 10, 2011
  3. jd7419

jd7419

I agree being landlord can be very stressful, where i live in ny the tenant owns your ass. With that being said my good friend is doing well in nashville, he switched from res to commercial. He has problems there but he is amazed at how much more honest the people of tennessee are.

#23     Nov 10, 2011
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

some may have very little equity and may be close to that watermark....10 years ago is not far back enough.

#24     Nov 10, 2011
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

exactly...2000 is when it started sloping up

#25     Nov 10, 2011
  6. well, the guy who instead of buying put his 20% down all in the stock market after 2000, isn't doing much better. Depending on what day he bought.

#26     Nov 10, 2011