Half of adults in the US could be obese by 2030

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Aug 29, 2011.

1. That could translate to more than 8 million cases of diabetes, 500,000-plus cases of cancer, and 6.8 million cases of coronary heart disease in the U.S. When researchers used other, less alarming data from other studies showing a recent plateauing of obesity trends in the country, the predicted numbers were still high: more than 6 million cases of diabetes, 400,000 cases of cancer and 5 million cases of coronary heart disease.

Other conditions such as osteoarthritis and high blood pressure could be affected too, and though not fatal, they could affect people's lifespan.

Increased obesity could also mean massive increases in healthcare costs. Researchers predict a rise in annual medical costs from treating obesity-related illnesses of $66 billion by 2030, representing an overall 2.6% increase in health spending. Money spent just on obesity-related issues could go up 13% to 16% per year over 20 years.

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-obesity-rates-prediction-20110826,0,6152399.story

2. umm there's a typo in the title. "2030" should read "2000"

bear in mind that the definition of 'obese' is awfully lenient. you can be a guy who's 18% body fat or a woman who's 27% body fat, and they don't even consider that obese. it's just "overweight". (that would correspond to a sedentary woman who's 5'3" 125 lbs, for instance.)

that's obese anywhere else in the world. they just keep the bar very low in the US to keep fat asses from feeling bad about themselves.

3. Isnt it funny that in other countries when someone is poor they are really skinny, but in the US when someone is poor they generally are fat?

4. zdreg

zdreg

5. That's cuz... in America being called "poor" isn't all that poor. In fact, would be considered RICH in many parts of the world.

Overly generous, "Liberal" benefits... is a major reason why we face economic disaster in the relatively near future.

6. rosy2

rosy2

thats because they eat fast food which is basically sh*t. in other countries (ie. subsaharan africa) there is no fast food.

on another note US serving sizes are huge now. And last time I ate fast food it seemed like it was greasier/sh*ttier than when I was a kid in the 80s. Consiracy theory?

7. Parasitic tit-suckers get their life style subsidized for their Liberal vote. So, they get to park their asses on a subsidized couch... in a subsidized living qurater... eating subsidized fast food... and get fat as pigs. Then, the diseases they develop from poor eating and lifestyle choices... get their medical care subsidized, too. All in exchange for their vote.

America, what a country!

Instead of subsidizing the lazy and incompetent, we should adopt the general policy of... "THE WORLD DOESN'T OWE YOU A LIVING. GET A JOB AND PROVIDE FOR YOURSELF.. OR DIE"! Nobody has the "right" to be a burden upon society.

8. Bob111

Bob111

shit or not,but i like it.. last friday i eat 2(yes,two) angus deluxe,fries and bottle of red wine. feels great! taste great too. didn't gain a pound on next day(155lb)
    i have no complains on McDonald's

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/full_menu/sandwiches/angus_deluxe.html

like my little son says-everything is ok...as long as it used in moderation
    people in US is just too lazy to cook their own food. they are too busy texting..that's why they prefer processed food made by someone else for them. that's comes with the price and consequences.
    local grown fruits and veggies are much cheaper and way more healthier to consume. specially during the summer. don't like cucumbers and celery? juice them and just drink...i know..i know..coke taste better :)

9. Three Americans walk into a bar...

Okay, scratch that.

Two Americans walk into a bar.

The third is too obese to even get through the doorway. He successfully sues the architect and the bartender for 20 million dollars for hurt feelings, then spends his winnings in McDonald's.

He later sues McDonald's for selling an obese man cheeseburgers.

10. Lornz

Lornz

That pretty much sums it up... :D

#10     Aug 29, 2011