Haitians Charge Missionaries With Kidnapping

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Yes, the POV of rationalizing an extremely improper and criminal behavior...

"But he, desiring to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbor?"

#41     Feb 7, 2010
  2. fhl

fhl

Since we're talking scripture here, how about

Acts 5:29 In answer Peter and the [other] apostles said: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.

I'm rather perplexed that you would think it "extremely improper" to save some children who are destitute.

Letting them starve, die, etc, is the "proper" thing to do?

#42     Feb 7, 2010
  3. All I gotta say is thank God that Haiti doesn't border the US.

#43     Feb 7, 2010
  4. "The disturbing tale of Laura Silsby continues to grow. Seems she took it upon herself to attempt to abduct the adoptive Haitian children of a Kentucky couple, turning up at the orphanage and claiming the parents sent her!

Richard and Malinda Pickett have spent the last five years working to adopt three siblings from an orphanage in Haiti. Their heartwarming story (sans Silsby’s subterfuge) may be found in its entirety HERE. In part:

Richard Pickett

We had been supporting three siblings for about two years when I (Richard) took a trip to Haiti in May 2005. On the trip I had the oldest boy, Danielo, with me the entire time, the oldest girl, Daniela, for all but two days of my trip, and Danel, the little boy, was with me 6 of the 11 days. During this time they captured my heart. They are bright children and have very good hearts . . .

I decided then that Malinda and I had to adopt the children. I worried that when I returned to the States that she wouldn’t understand. There was just no way in my mind I could see leaving these children in Haiti. In 11 days I had fallen in love with them. I spoke briefly with Malinda about it while I was in Haiti and she seemed receptive. We only spoke three times for 10 minutes a piece while I was in Haiti so there wasn’t a lot of time to discuss any details.

When I came back Malinda was ready to adopt them. We started calling the children once a week and she would sit there and cry the whole time. She would tell me her heart ached as if her own natural children were away from her. And she hadn’t even met them yet.

We’re now in our 5th year of adoption.

Over the five years of work to adopt the three children, the Picketts visited Haiti a number of times, spending quality time with the siblings at the orphanage outside Port-au-Prince. Following the quake, their story made local headlines:

It’s been a 5-year battle to adopt the children, and the Pickett’s haven’t lost hope. They legally adopted the children almost two years ago, and now they may finally get to come home.

“This week’s been a rollercoaster, not knowing if Daniela is alive, then finding out she is, and then finding out we can get their visas.” With visas ready, Richard plans to go to Haiti and bring their children back next week.

After Richard left, Malinda says, the calls from Silsby started.

[Silsby said] “When they get to the Dominican, I’ll help you get them over.”

And I told her no, my husband is over in Haiti advocating for our adoption to be finished and get our kids home and you know at this time I don’t think we need any help.

Silsby wouldn’t give up, and called back twice more. Malinda tried to impress upon Silsby the effort involved in adopting children from Haiti:

Do you realize? We’ve been waiting 5 years to get our children, you know it’s not that easy to just go to Haiti and pick up kids. You know, you can’t do that.

Richard Pickett brings the tale of Silsby’s obsessive stalking to a close.

She kept persisting, and Malinda kept saying no, don’t bother our children, and Laura decided to show up at the orphanage anyway, and ask for our children, and said that Malinda had sent her there. And our children were not there at the time, they were with me.

The hubris of this woman!

Richard Pickett doesn’t think Silsby was interested so much in heroics, as something else. He read of her financial woes (which the Paliban Daily recounted for you HERE), and thinks Silsby saw dollar signs in those three teenagers.

. . . maybe do a mild form of extortion, because here we are, obviously interested in caring for our children and if she had them in the Dominican, she could use us as leverage to have us pay for their support."

UPDATE: The UK Times reports that Silsby is also due in court for separate civil trials in February and March.

Ms Silsby, who is currently in a cell in Haiti, is due in court in Idaho for a civil jury trial on February 22.

She is also due to appear in court in March to answer a second civil suit brought against her by an Idaho law firm, Beer & Cain, for $4,526 in unpaid fees.

http://www.palibandaily.com/2010/02/06/laura-silsbys-messiah-complex-part-ii/

#44     Feb 7, 2010
  5. Romans 13:1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

You are badly misusing a verse that had nothing to do with what you are trying to talk about. The verse you are trying to wave follows "

"We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name," he said. "Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man's blood.""

Acts 5:29 had nothing to do with violating the human law as you see fit.

The Haitian govt was clearly the law, and these 10 misguided people were kidnapping over 30 children over the border. Only a 2nd grade dropout would fail to see the many lines these people stepped over.

#45     Feb 7, 2010
  6. Good for those children they got saved.

Imagine the sexual abuse that would have occured should they had been brought back into the US.

#46     Feb 7, 2010