Haitians Charge Missionaries With Kidnapping

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Ricter

Ricter

The "other side" you refer to has not presented a coherent argument in a decade or more.

#21     Feb 5, 2010
  2. one word = Massachusetts

#22     Feb 5, 2010
  3. I assumed, naively it appears, that people here would be sophisticated enough to appreciate the vast differences.

If there was anything other than a sincere desire to help these children at work, I would be amazed. I find it interesting that people are dying in the streets, but apparently paperwork is more important than getting children out of a dangerous environment.

#23     Feb 5, 2010
  4. You probably restrict your news gathering to watching MSNBC, so you probably are not aware of opposing ideas.

Here are a couple to mull over.

Stop spending money by the trillions on slush funds disguised as stimulus; don't raise taxes in the middle of an economic crisis; don't impose huge unnecessary costs on our economy under the guise of fighting the fantasy of global warming; we can solve our energy needs with nuclear, coal and nat gas but solar and wind are never going to be more than a tiny fraction; terrorists should be held at gitmo and tried in military tribunals when we have finished extracting all available information from them; and finally, health care finance could use minor reforms but that is no reason for a government takeover.

#24     Feb 5, 2010
  5. http://www.idahostatesman.com/eyepiece/story/1067267.html

"The Idaho woman who led a group of 10 Baptists on a mission to help children in Haiti admits to failing to obtain paperwork needed to move 33 children to the Dominican Republic.

But even before Laura L. Silsby and seven other Idahoans ended up in a Haitian jail accused of trafficking in children, Silsby had a history of failing to pay debts, failing to pay her employees and failing even to follow Idaho laws."

Laura Silsby bought a house at 2828 S. Alfani Way in Meridian on Nov. 10, 2008. On Dec. 7, 2009, MetLife Home Loans foreclosed on the $358,500 house, according to the Ada County Recorder's Office."

#25     Feb 5, 2010
  6. Hmmm..............so she is like GM, Chrysler, AIG, etc.,

#26     Feb 5, 2010

7. Why go to Haiti with so many money problem, and foreclosure to her home only 2 month ago?
    Why no respect for the law of her state?

#27     Feb 5, 2010
  8. I see you are not denying what I said...

You thought since we invaded Iraq the oil became ours, and since we are modern day Romans, the spoils of war bullshit philosophy you subscribe to should also apply to Haiti's children...

Your comments below are bullshit of course, but you already know that...

#28     Feb 5, 2010
  9. strange thread. There has been concerns about trafficking in children and potentially even sex trafficking. The OP is completely wrong.

These "well-meaning" people had no business rounding up kids and taking them across a national border without papers for a "good" intention. The fact that it was Haiti or after a disaster does not change the rights of the Haitian govt to crack down on 10 fools trucking out over 30 children.

What if someone came, put THESE 10 peoples' kids on a truck from the USA and headed across the Mexican border? Would there suddenly be calling for the heads of those "kidnappers" and an investigation?

As a conservative Christian, I am sympathetic to the beliefs of these 10. And I am completely opposed to their behavior. It is kidnapping.

#29     Feb 5, 2010
  10. I for one ,am perfectly content letting Haiti remain the shithole it was before the quake.

I'm also quite sure that getting govt permission was as functionally available as myself getting a cherry slurpee at burger king.

#30     Feb 6, 2010