Haitians Charge Missionaries With Kidnapping

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Most likely

I think I agree on all points save maybe one. I believe if a US citizen chooses to travel to a lawless third world shit hole you have to assume a certain amount of risk, without necesarily expecting the US state department to come running to your rescue when things go awry.

#11     Feb 5, 2010
  2. Hate America, come on we call you on your bullshit biased prejudiced comments and we hate America, kind a full of yourself there aren't you. Disagree with aaa = hate America, funny shit man.
    Hate christians, no but they bug the shit out of me, and I do wish they would shut the hell up. Considering most of my family and friends, who I love, fall into the religious nut group, I don't hate them. In fact most of the time I feel sorry for them and pity them. But unlike Christians I respect their right to their opinions and keep my mouth shut and leave them the hell alone.

hyper-legal, stopping strangers from other countries from taking young kids across the border without paperwork or authorization from the Haiti or US government or DR government is hyper-legal, really aaa really ?

Never prosecuted in most countries, bull shit aaa , why don't you try to take some kids from the hood to your house, not even put in an orphanage or leave the country and see what happens, you'll be in jail.
    You're a nut job.

#12     Feb 5, 2010
  3. It wasn't that long ago that AAA was complaining that Iraq wanted to do something with OUR oil that is in their ground...

AAA is the classic ugly American...

#13     Feb 5, 2010
  4. I don't care who they are or what country it is...

You must get the proper paperwork before transporting children from a country especially from a country that's been in the media before for having their children stolen or disappear without a trace after some well meaning person or group offered help.

Those missionaries or whatever are well funded and several of them are from high income families. They could have easily stayed there and setup a temporary location to house the children, feed them, get them proper medical care until they secure whatever government documents they needed like others have already done.

In my opinin...they knew exactly what they were doing via trying to sneak out the back door...breaking the law. In addition, it's a poor excuse to say the parents consented when in fact only a few of those kids was associated with a consenting parent.

Regardless to consent or not...you need government approval and passports because it's a well known fact that without the proper documentation it's not unheard to hear that some organization left with for example 15 kids but upon arrival to where ever they were taking the kids...only 12 arrived. :(

Turn to the other shoe...imagine what would have happen if someone came to the United States when Hurricane Katrina hit or the big earthquake in California or a tornada that wiped out an entire town in the midwest or bible belt...

Someone or some organization takes children without government approval, without passports or documents...just their word that a parent said it was ok. I guarantee those in the U.S. will be in car pools with guns going after those so call well intention folks.

Mark

#14     Feb 5, 2010
  5. He really said that? Really?

#15     Feb 5, 2010
  6. So after hearing both sides of your arguements, I have come to the conclusion that the the moral of this story is....

Dont help children. Let someone else take the blame for their care or lack thereof.

Most of you think life in Haiti is just like life in america but without money. Its not. Things are so different there and maybe if you all knew what actually goes down in Haiti (even before the quake), you would side with the people trying to get them out. First off, there is a word for these children that the parents giveaway. They call them "Restavec's" In Haiti the parents will give their children to other wealthier families that live in the same country in hopes that their children will be educated, but in reality they are treated like slaves. The wealthy families will get these children for free and make them do all the dirty jobs in the house. Sometimes the wealthy families will take restavec girls to be sex slaves for their teenage boys and then the girls get pregnant, they will be kicked out onto the street like a piece of trash and a new girl will take her place as there is a never ending supply of restavek children in Haiti. Here is a book by someone that actually was a restavec child.

http://www.amazon.com/Restavec-Hait...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265394051&sr=8-1

In the book he describes sleeping, as a child, on a pile of rags under the kitchen table, “like a house cat.” He would wet his makeshift bed every night. Bedwetting is very common with restavec children, according to Cadet, because their lives are filled with so much trauma. For wetting his ragpile, he was constantly ridiculed and sometimes beaten.

“For any minor infraction,” Cadet writes, “they are severely whipped with the cowhide whip that is exclusively made for that purpose"

Read that book and then try to compare someone who takes children out of Haiti with someone who takes a child in america from one house to another. You will see its apples & oranges.

#16     Feb 5, 2010
  7. No offense but you're an idiot. :)

#17     Feb 5, 2010
  8. The conclusion is that there are other organizations and individuals in Haiti helping children. In addition, some children have been adopted without any attempt to sneak them out the back door.

It's a shame those particular missionaries decided to break the law while other missionaries there decided to respect the law while helping hundreds of children without stealing them.

Mark

#18     Feb 5, 2010
  9. Apparently the NAACP Legal Defense Fund promotes something similar to your opinion, the difference being "white" folks should not help "brown" babies.........thats a colonial exploitation throw-back.

http://www.thedefendersonline.com/2010/02/05/the-missionary’s-position/

#19     Feb 5, 2010
  10. You remind me a lot of Obama. You can't deal with the other side's actual argument, so you invent a strawman position and assign it to them.

It's a weak and intellectually dishonest approach, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you and Obama use it so much.

#20     Feb 5, 2010