Haircut

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by brockattack, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Prop traders can bid and offer on both sides of the market, retail traders cannot. This does not mean prop traders are market makers. They simply are not subjected to cancel fees like retail traders are and they can post a two sided market.

#11     Jun 5, 2006
  2. cool, thanks. i thought so. haircut fees associated with prop trades made me sense that.

that's cool stuff.

#12     Jun 5, 2006
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Wait, hold on. LOL. There are no haircut fees. Are you sure you understand? :)

#13     Jun 5, 2006
  4. yes, don't worry about haircut fees stuff (i understand how haircuts work with prop traders from previous posts). i just wanted to know if prop trader could act like a market maker making two sided market even tho prop traders are not market makers themselves. that was all i needed..........very valuable info. i have been questioning this for awhile since i see redi (which is used by bright) on both sides of level 2. i understand very clearly now. thats cool prop traders can buy at bid and sell at ask.

i remember seeing in echotrade's contracts that you couldn't do certain stuff to manipulate the market (i just asked for their contract to see what prop firms had to offer, not going with them as i will go with bright when i have enuff money). just researching prop firms. i don't want to be jipped or taken advantage of. i also don't care if bright commissions are a little high as they are reputable and solid standing. i just want the leverage and use my strategies which pretty much work.

thanks for info.

#14     Jun 5, 2006
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

I was refering to options, not stock.

#15     Jun 5, 2006
  6. no worries about haircut fee garbage for stocks or options, that's pretty self explanatory. just wanted clarification on prop trades regarding bid/ask.

#16     Jun 5, 2006
  7. Does it mean I have more option contracts for the same capital? As a retail option trader, which broker will allow u to trade using haircut, and not reg-T.

#17     Jun 6, 2006
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

You cannot get a haircut in a retail account. You need to be a member of a JBO.

#18     Jun 6, 2006
  9. How can you become a member of a JBO? What is the proper career path for one who thinks he is good in option trading? I am considering trading future options as one possibility because of higher leverage.

#19     Jun 6, 2006
  10. kbeck

kbeck

Haircut (finance)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    In finance, a haircut is a percentage that is subtracted from the market value of the assets that are being used as collateral. The size of the haircut reflects the perceived riskiness associated with the assets.

For example, Treasury bills (which are seen as fairly safe) might have a haircut of 1%, while for a stock option (which are seen as less safe) the haircut might be as high as 30%.

[edit]
    ECB use of haircuts
    The European Central Bank (ECB) applies a haircut to all securities offered as collateral. The size of the haircut depends on the riskiness of the security offered as collateral. See the ECB Risk control framework

OCC: http://www.optionsclearing.com/products/rbh_documentation.jsp

Kevin

#20     Jun 6, 2006