Haircut of Canadian treasury bills used as collateral

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by M.W., Jun 16, 2022.

1. def

def Sponsor

M.W., run risk navigator and you will see the requirements. Not all seem to be tradeable but for those that are, ~2.5% haircut.

As for the comments on improvements/innovation - you are are very very far off the mark. First, Mr. Peterffy is still very much involved as chairman of the firm and behind the scenes there has been a huge amount of resources and improvements on scalability, redundancy, routing, etc. On the front end, yes we came out with Impact and Global Trader but the driving force was demand from many of our clients for a simple easy to use interface w/o the many advanced tools. Stay tuned though as there is plenty in the works which should please our active clientele.

Finally, address change. That is obviously not good. If you wish, please send me a PM with the ticket number and I'll dig into the issues as address changes and the likes (if the same entity) should be a simple process.

#11     Jun 21, 2022
  2. M.W.

M.W.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for chiming in. The address change issue is resolved, they let me upload a copy of the property tax note that lists both of us as joint owners.

But I am still struggling with Canadian Tbills. After back and forth with multiple trade desk reps and product reps it turns out IB does not even offer Canadian Tbills and not a single Canadian bond denominated in Canadian dollars. That is extremely odd. Neither them digging deeper, nor me checking the bond search tool and scanner produced any results. It would be awesome if you could perhaps check whether I/we overlooked something?

Thanks

#12     Jun 21, 2022
  3. def

def Sponsor

I'll raise this with our bond desk and you are correct, what I have searched/checked and see under "CA" were USD denominated which I should have noticed.

#13     Jun 22, 2022
    M.W. likes this.
  4. M.W.

M.W.

Thanks for raising this issue internally. Given IB offers sovereign Mexican and Israeli and even bonds of less developed nations it puzzles me why no Canadian sovereign debt is being offered.

#14     Jun 22, 2022
  5. @ def from IBKR: Any chance you can chime in on my question: whether German or Japanese government bonds can be used as futures collateral for EUREX and Japanese traded futures, respectively? IBKR support has not been able to conclusively answer this question or find government bonds that can serve as EUR or JPY based futures collateral.

#15     Jun 23, 2022
  6. M.W.

M.W.

Could you please open your own thread to raise other questions? I see they are related but I like to keep it pretty on point here. Thanks.

#16     Jun 23, 2022
  7. def

def Sponsor

I'm following up on both.

#17     Jun 23, 2022
    M.W. likes this.
  8. def

def Sponsor

I've had some feedback on Canadian bonds. As you know we offer a number of CAD Gov Bonds in USD. We however are limited by what our liquidity provider offers and haven't sought additional providers due to lack of demand and work required to settle bonds at the Canadian depository.

#18     Jun 28, 2022
  9. M.W.

M.W.

Alright, thanks for checking. I guess just a few guys expressing their interest won't move the needle much if at all...

#19     Jun 28, 2022
  10. @def : If you you can please follow up on EUR and JPY based securities that can be used as futures collateral in lieu of cash. (Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I think def might already be working on this.)

#20     Jun 29, 2022