Hahaha! Canadian hedge fund 1.4 Billion in the red!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by The Kin, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Damn right it's funny. And there lost could have been a result of my gain.

So what are you getting at? I'm jealous since I don't have any $$$ invested in a hedge fund? Not really.

I do agree that most people bash profitable investment instruments in which they missed the boat. But i'm not bashing head funds, just this one in particular which managed to blow the fuck up. It's funny. I'm sure there are many other hedge funds which do indeed beat the S&P after the management fees. And I'm happy for everyone who has had a very profitable venture with them.

But the people who lost money in this particular hedge fund, I have no pity for them as they know the risks. It's not like a defined benefit retirement plan. If one of those were to blow up, that would be a true tragedy for the people who had their money vested. As for this one, people knew the risks. It's just all part of the game we play.

#11     May 5, 2005
  2. :confused:

#12     May 6, 2005
  3. Chagi

Chagi

Perhaps, but I think that the broader issue here is the possibility of losing your investment funds. While it is certainly possible to lose money when investing with a mutual fund, hedge funds are generally speaking far riskier mutual funds.

It sure does look bad when one of the Portus principals leaves the country though...

#13     May 6, 2005
  4. VictorS

VictorS

Obviously, you don't trade.

#14     May 6, 2005
  5. Here is the real post, nice edit of my response, jackass.

#15     May 7, 2005
  6. OR make money in the markets......

#16     May 8, 2005
  7. Sucking the dick of hedge funds will not waive their requirements of getting in. Nice try guys.

#17     May 9, 2005
  8. ktm

ktm

An experienced voice?

#18     May 9, 2005
  9. Not at all. I just find the backlash in this thread to be hilarious. Consider: I bash a hedge fund which blew up, and everyone and their mom takes it as an attack on the entire hedge fund industry. Then they start attacking me. Why?

#19     May 9, 2005
  10. look , these guys will only be censored or have their liecence take away for a few years, but they will be back. Give the portus guys 5 years, and they will be back.

#20     May 9, 2005