Hacking questions

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by bestfriend, Jan 22, 2008.

1. paulxx

paulxx

Forgot about network settings:

Go to Network Connections on the control panel. Right click and choose Properties on your network card (don't use wireless for reliable trading). Highlight and choose 'Uninstall' for anything except the following:
    'Client for Microsoft networks'
    'File and Printer sharing'
    'QOS packet scheduling'
    'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' - Highlight this one, choose Properties and check the two buttons for IP address and DNS are set to the top, '....automatically', options.

If you have any connection problems or just want to be sure, download/run winsockxpfix.exe from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

There's another one called lspfix from here: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

#31     Feb 17, 2008
  2. Paul -

Thank you for this info. I am trying to do this.

When I change the startup menu in msconfig to "unclick" the programs I get a message saying
    "access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to logon with adminitrative privileges to make changes".
    But then it does make the changes. Do you know how to fix this ???

Thanks.

#32     Feb 17, 2008
  3. Paul,
    I ran hijack this & ccleaner & noticed a difference right away...my machine is faster. When my mcafee subscription runs out I'm gonna switch over to AVG.
    Thanks a lot for all the info.

#33     Feb 19, 2008
  4. I'm getting the "keyboard hook" warning when I open IE, also on Skype (along with the programs I mentioned previously).
    Would reformatting my hard drive get rid of any keylogger that may be installed on my machine ???
    Thanks for any further info.

#34     Feb 19, 2008
  5. This is tough to do without some help as Task Manager is terrible about providing details of the running processes.
    Download PRIO at http://www.prnwatch.com/products.html
    What's cool about it: it tracks every task right back to the starting program and directory location.
    This really makes it easy to identify malware and other rogue programs running on your system.
    As soon as you see a directory or program that you didn't install yourself, then that one is a suspect. Moreover, once you have the program name, you can "google" it to see it's real purpose.

#35     Feb 19, 2008
  6. Thanks syswiz -

How do I find the paths in there back to the starting program?? All I saw was the extra tab in the task manager & the red & green highlight on the processes. Is it possible that the keylogger is attached to some other program ??

Thanks for any other info.

BTW...I'm still getting the keyboard hook warning for yahoo messenger, internet explorer and skype.

#36     Feb 20, 2008
  7. Why would amazon.com need to hook the keyboard :confused:
    As soon as I access the website, I wasn't even logged in, just searching.

#37     Feb 25, 2008
  8. It's not a bad idea to ensure the "secure logon" box is checked. It is in Control Panel, User Accounts, Advanced tab, and of course, use a logon id and password.

#38     Feb 25, 2008
  9. Joab

Joab

Paulxx

Thank you!

#40     Feb 29, 2008