HA, women sues AAPL for $1M over $200 price cut....

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Oct 2, 2007.

1. S2007S

S2007S

very true....

:D

#11     Oct 2, 2007
  2. When did $1 Million become small claims?

#12     Oct 2, 2007
  3. Isn't she filed this as class action?

She said she bought a 4gigs one and discontinued 2 months after released.

I would sue them too, if I bought one.

#13     Oct 2, 2007
  4. i wasn't clear. i meant that this should be a request for a few hundred bucks at most IN small claims court.

but with the dollar going the way it is, maybe $1m for small claims isn't a bad idea.

#14     Oct 2, 2007
  5. Since you brought it up, do you know the entire story about that suit or simply the headline 'you gotta be kidding - coffee is hot and they're suing?' knee jerk public reaction?

Read this article reprinted from the WSJ. McDonalds KNEW their coffee was too hot and could cause burns yet they continued to serve it that way. Yes, it's posted on a lawyer's site, but the original article isn't available in its entirety.

http://www.reedmorganpc.com/wsj_coffee.htm

#15     Oct 2, 2007
  6. sim03

sim03

While I agree with most of your argument, the final settlement in the McDonald's coffee case was for "an undisclosed amount less then $600,000." Likely $200K - $300K or less for the attorneys, and that's before taxes. Not trivial, maybe, especially whatever share went to the now 82-year-old, um, poor victim, but certainly not "millions" or life-changing in any way.

Speaking as a trader, if your expected win ratio is really 1 in 10, you may have a negative expectancy, unless that one is a blockbuster award. Especially after 1) expenses (usually borne entirely by the lawyers, not the plaintiffs, unless you win the case) and 2) opportunity costs of not pursuing less frivolous, lottery-like payoff liability cases. But hey, tell all that to Kramer, with his unlimited lifetime supply of Java...

#16     Oct 2, 2007
  7. Why does the plaintiff hate capitalism?

#17     Oct 2, 2007
  8. "...claimed the company violated price discrimination laws when it slashed the price..."

AAPL discriminated against stupid people ? lol

That lawyer should hurry on over to Detroit and sue them on the behalf of car buyers (aka stupid people) for making crappy cars for 30 years!

#18     Oct 2, 2007
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

they know someone who stands in line for 36 hours will pay more or less $200.00 more than other consumers.. :p

who crunched them numbers is what i want to know??

#19     Oct 2, 2007
  10. Spoken like a true lawyer. The point is it's coffee, if you can't protect yourself from spilled coffee, you're stupid.

#20     Oct 3, 2007