H1B Visa program has already ruined this country

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jinxu, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Marc Faber says Bill Gates told him at a party:

"If I could move Microsoft to Asia I would do it not today but yesterday."

#21     Apr 4, 2011
  2. pupu

pupu

This is too weird.
    Just got an email about a position at MCD......

#22     Apr 4, 2011
  3. You're not comparing apples-to-apples. A masters degree in India is akin to an undergrad degree in avg. US public universities.

#23     Apr 4, 2011
  4. If one party in a couple gets a H1 (usually the husband), the lower skilled partner can get work papers w/o being certified. Some companies now gets two for one Visa wise.

#24     Apr 4, 2011
  5. zdreg

zdreg

where was the cost saving in this situation?

why do the germans run a trade surplus? I asked this question on other thread. to be generous I received unclear answers.

#25     Apr 4, 2011
  6. sle

sle

It's a free market economy, in case you did not know. If you can't compete with workers from India, China etc. it just means that you don't have the right skill-set or desire to work as hard as they do. Quit whining and grow up, people!

#26     Apr 4, 2011
  7. So trickle-down was a myth? Wow, republicans lied?

#27     Apr 4, 2011
  8. sle

sle

Bullcrap alert. H-4 America visas do not allow their holders to work in America, and as a result, a spouse or dependent will not be permitted to seek or undertake employment without applying in their own capacity for a USA work visa. USA H4 visas do however permit holders to study in the USA.

#28     Apr 4, 2011
  9. I know H1 spouses who worked. Bring a wife here, she may take a few classes first, and she gets a job in due time. After all, she is already here and do not need to earn as much.

#29     Apr 4, 2011
  10. To the corporate mind, the cost savings in my case was that they saved the $3000 or so per month I was getting, but more importantly, with me quitting, there was nobody left for the division level management to turn to that was willing to pull out the stops, which was always a problem for them, because the corporate people didn't have the work ethic when it came to working on projects for division level people, and anyway, they had lost the few good ones when they played the "outsource everything to India" card.

Cost savings was always the excuse, but the savings always managed to evaporate.

H1b people have to take whatever they give, and don't come asking for raises or expecting big bonuses. They are generally paid about 1/2 or maybe 2/3 at most of what it would take to hire a good American for the same job.

The answer to your 2nd question is that Americans would rather drive BMW, MB, VW or Porsche than GM or F, all other things being equal, and since we have a system that encourages borrowing, consumption, and importation instead of investing, production and export, it should be no surprise at all that everything is as bad as it is. Sheerly by coincidence, I'm sure, if you took the 40 to 50 billion per month trade deficit we run and divide it by the 20 million or so under and unemployed, you could afford to pay each of them $2000 to $2500 per month instead.

#30     Apr 4, 2011