H-P Scandal as Chairwoman Snooped On Directors Phone Records

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by AAAintheBeltway, Sep 6, 2006.

1. I agree with the "personal privacy issue" totally.

As I mentioned earlier, kind of odd that she is staying on as a Director, and the "leaker" is resigning altogether.

Don

#31     Sep 12, 2006
  2. Tums

Tums

I think Tom wants to be the Chairman.

#32     Sep 12, 2006
  3. SteveD

SteveD

Her fiduciary responsibility to HP required her to take action to find the leaks....according to the reported facts she was three levels removed from the "investigators"...the scum bag is the leaker....Perkins bent out of shape that rest of board did not come to him and kiss his ring..

I think most corps like Chairman and CEO to be different people as they require different skill sets...when one person holds same position too tempting to pack board with buddies...that is how incompetent CEO's stay so long...board is too friendly and too close to him...all go along to get along as he got them the "gig"

IMHO

SteveD

#33     Sep 12, 2006
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

HP Insiders Likely to Face Charges
    California Attorney General Says HP Insiders Likely to Face Criminal Charges

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060912/hewlett_packard_directors.html?.v=50

"We currently have sufficient evidence to indict people both within Hewlett-Packard Co. as well as contractors on the outside," Lockyer said in an interview aired late Tuesday on PBS' "NewsHour with Jim Lehrer."

#34     Sep 13, 2006
  5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

HP chair resigns amid probe fallout

PALO ALTO, Calif. - Hewlett-Packard Co. shoved Chairwoman Patricia Dunn off its board Friday, severing its ties to a leader whose efforts to plug a media leak morphed into a spying scandal that has spawned criminal and congressional investigations. (more at url)

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/business/corporate_governance

#35     Sep 22, 2006
  6. H-P's Top Lawyer Quits

By TSC Staff
    9/28/2006 7:46 AM EDT

Hewlett-Packard (HPQ - news - Cramer's Take) said its longtime general counsel, Ann Baskins, resigned as company leaders prepared to face Congress over a boardroom spying fiasco.

CEO Mark Hurd and others are due to testify Thursday before the House Energy and Commerce Committee on the company's decision to spy on employees and directors in a bid to clamp down on news leaks. Last week H-P's nonexecutive chairman, Patricia Dunn, resigned as the company released a report on the debacle. Dunn's departure, which had been planned for January, came amid increasing scrutiny of her leadership of the spying probe.

Two other H-P execs who were involved in the spying program have left the company. Some observers had wondered how long Baskins could stay with the company, given the possible legal implications of the probe. H-P hired private investigators who used false pretenses to gain access to personal records. California's attorney general and other regulators are investigating.

"I want to thank Ann for 24 years of outstanding service and devotion to HP," said Hurd. "She began her career here shortly after law school and worked her way up to serve as the company's top lawyer, earning along the way a reputation for hard work and integrity. She has admirably supported our business needs across the globe and will be missed. Stepping down was a very hard decision for her, but by doing so she has put the interests of HP above her own and that is to be commended."

#36     Sep 28, 2006
  7. Tums

Tums

the chairwoman is gone
    almost a third of the board is gone
    many officers are gone
    counsel is gone

what is left?

#37     Sep 28, 2006
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

even more supprise on forbes list #3 Wu Yi , my first though was she must be some chinese star. :D

#38     Sep 28, 2006
  9. Note: This is just a copy of a letter sent to Newsweek by my wife, the lovely Gina - no reflection on Bright Trading

"Patricia “Pattie” Dunn is a long time family friend. She was like a sister to me growing up. As a young woman, she was a champion for the underdog, an advocate for the rights of the elderly, minorities, and of course, women. She was a true intellectual whose accomplishments were earned through hard work, a knack for words, and social diplomacy. She was always very humble about her accomplishments and never insisted on taking center stage. Though I was surprised to see Pattie take the path of a corporate executive, I always felt good knowing that corporate America could not help but become “kinder and gentler” by having a person of such impeccable integrity at the helm. How unfortunate that this set of unusual circumstances would taint her public persona, for she is truly a wonderful person and not deserving of many of the published reports that characterize her as a power hungry individual willing to trample on the constitutional rights of others. I have to sadly say, Hewlett Packard lost a wonderful asset to their company with her resignation."

Gina Gilbert

I tend to agree with Steve about the real "rat" being the leaker...waiting to see how Pattie does with the Senate today.

Don

#39     Sep 28, 2006
  10. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

House Panel Says Pretexting Illegal, HP Defense Unbelievable

http://www.informationweek.com/stor...OCV2R4QSNDLOSKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=193100435

Some quotes:
    ---------------------

"What has happened to our corporate culture," he asked. "I heard nothing. I saw nothing. I knew nothing. That is their defense. It is not believable."

"There's all sorts of evidence that she knew about pretexting early on," Whitfield said, adding that most of Dunn's responses indicated she could not remember or did not know about details, including an investigator's account of briefing Dunn on pretexting.

"I had the impression that this went on in an underworld of scoundrels and sleazes," said Jay Inslee, a Washington Democrat. "The thought that a major company like HP would be involved in that, never crossed my mind. That's what's so disturbing to me."

"Conspicuous in its absence in your testimony is any degree of contrition," Florida Republican Cliff Stearns said, before sparring with Dunn and finally insisting that she use the word "yes" or "no" to tell whether she was responsible.

"I do not accept personal responsibility for what happened," she said.

That was in stark contrast to Hurd, who said he accepted responsibility for all aspects of the company's operations, whether or not he was consulted.

#40     Sep 29, 2006