H-P Scandal as Chairwoman Snooped On Directors Phone Records

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by AAAintheBeltway, Sep 6, 2006.

1. I agree, the Ca AG was pretty tough with his words...if there was a criminal act by Patty I'll be surprised, but not shocked.

Don

#21     Sep 11, 2006
  2. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Congress Wades Into HP Probe

Congress Wades Into HP Probe; Board Ponders Chairwoman Patricia Dunn's Fate

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- A Congressional committee on Monday asked Hewlett-Packard Co. to turn over records related to the company's possibly illegal investigation of media leaks, as the company's board planned to meet again to discuss the fate of embattled Chairwoman Patricia Dunn. (more at url)

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060911/hewlett_packard_directors.html?.v=23

#22     Sep 11, 2006
  3. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Hewlett-Packard's Dunn to step down

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Hewlett-Packard Co. said Tuesday that Patricia Dunn will step down as chairwoman of the computer and printer maker in January amid a widening scandal involving a possibly illegal probe into media leaks. She will be succeeded by CEO Mark Hurd.

Hurd will retain his existing positions as chief executive and president and Dunn will remain as a director after she relinquishes the chair on Jan. 18. <more at url>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060912/ap_on_bi_ge/hewlett_packard_directors

#23     Sep 12, 2006
  4. This makes it more interesting, in that Patty is staying on as a Director....(I hope) probably a way of "gracefully" handling the situation.

What I found interesting in reading several reports is that whatever "practice" the Inestigators did was "pretty common among American companies"....if so, there are probably quite a number of Board members shredding documents...LOL.

Don

#24     Sep 12, 2006
  5. Tums

Tums

George Keyworth has no integrity.
    I think he is done in the corporate world.
    Nobody will ever trust him again.

I am sorry to see Patricia step down.

#25     Sep 12, 2006
  6. Clearly, there needs to be federal legislation imposing stronger penalties for this sort of thing.

I think some good will come of this affair. One, we saw a rare example of principle prevailing over power. You have to admire Tom Perkins' willingness to insist on the right thing, even when it was not expedient. Of course, it helps to be a billionaire Silicon Valley legend when you choose to stick your neck out.

Two, I think this may embolden some people to do more than just go along with whatever the CEO or Chairwoman wants. A wise leader knows any human can make a mistake and values having someone around who will take them aside and say, " Are you really sure about that?"

#26     Sep 12, 2006
  7. Hmmm, if I recall AAA my friend, is that you're a pretty staunch member of the GOP...and now asking for more Federal Government controls of the marketplace....I guess it shows that "correct behaviour" does not have to wear a certain political hat. (not that I don't agree with your statement).

And, I guess this makes sense as well.

BULLETINH-P DIRECTOR KEYWORTH SAYS HE WILL RESIGN FROM BOARD

It's so hard to tell what goes on in with some of these boards, and it's too bad if someone has a different set of ethics for business than in personal life. "The investigation revealed that board member George Keyworth was the source of the leaks to the media"

And I agree with this: "Two, I think this may embolden some people to do more than just go along with whatever the CEO or Chairwoman wants. A wise leader knows any human can make a mistake and values having someone around who will take them aside and say, " Are you really sure about that?"

All the best to everyone,

Don

#27     Sep 12, 2006
  8. The next thing we will learn is Ms. Dunn was also leaking inside information, and the whole PI thing was orchestrated as a cover-up. :eek:

#28     Sep 12, 2006
  9. #29     Sep 12, 2006
  10. Don, I'd call myself more of a conservative than a staunch republican. These issues often have different facets. I don't see any legitimate economic reason to allow PI's to steal private phone records through fraud. So really, I don't see this as a government regulation of business type issue but rather a protection of personal privacy issue.

Anyway, it was clear to me when this issue surfaced that it was only a matter of time before they were forced to dump Dunn. She just didn't handle it in a very politically astute manner, plus she was a non-executive Chair, so it was painless to get rid of her. No doubt the new CEO was quite happy to get her out of his hair and assume both roles himself, and she gave him the perfect opening.

#30     Sep 12, 2006