Guy makes $160,000 and barely making it month to month...

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Mar 1, 2017.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Hmmm. $160,000 a year and just scraping by....wonder what those expenses must be beside paying over $3000++ a month for a small 1 bedroom apartment in San Francisco....

A Twitter employee speaking on the condition of anonymity told The Guardian he's scraping by on a base salary of $160,000. The employee is in his early 40s, lives in San Francisco, and has had to borrow money in the past to "make it through the month," The Guardian reports.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/twitter-employee-making-160-000-193700556.html

dealmaker likes this.
  2. Am I supposed to feel for this guy?

3. wintergasp

wintergasp

160k$ minus taxes is only about 80k$, minus insurances is about 75k$ if you rent a flat for 3k$ a month that's only 30k$ left for everything else (food, traveling, phone, internet, tv, etc.)

With 2 kids and 1 working wife, you will struggle with 300k$ a year in NYC.

4. dealmaker

dealmaker

When a condo goes $455k above asking IE 16.2% above and you are surrounded by millionaires and billionaires, for some it is possible to feel poor with only $160k/ year....

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...ern-sold-in-two-weeks-way-over-asking.307300/

5. Overnight

Overnight

Your maths, plus idea of tax rates, seems off.

6. Sig

Sig

What expensive cities have you lived in?

7. The problem is, and has been for decades, way too many people make way too much money, certainly more than they are really worth by any rational measure.

So the value of a $1 is tainted.

8. I was taking a subway the other day in NYC and a guy with severe acid scars on his face was going around asking for money. His fate is probably worse than death. Some people don't realize how lucky they are.

Sickparvismagna, wave and dealmaker like this.
  9. prc117f

prc117f

Example of localized hyperinflation? when 160K is not enough due to extreme inflationary pressures.

10. I don't see why your question is relevant. Why am I supposed to feel for a guy who makes more annually than probably 90% of the population?

#10     Mar 1, 2017