Guy loses $800 million selling BSC puts on the open!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Uncle_Ho, Mar 14, 2008.

1. is BSC a classic case of an institution that is too big to let fail? or would the Fed refuse to do more to bail it out than it already has?

#11     Mar 14, 2008
  2. one quotefeed showing it trading in the 34s, one showing it trading the 36s.....which is it?

#12     Mar 14, 2008
  3. bsc could survive but equity holders could still lose everything.

#13     Mar 14, 2008
  4. they are doing one hell of a job!! way to go fellows

all those clowns that keep coming on day after day saying everything is fine must be members.

:cool:

#14     Mar 14, 2008
  5. Bootsie

Bootsie

Several months ago when "writedowns" were in vogue... and once one bank announced one, they all jumped on the bandwagon.

Wondering outloud...

Who's next in line at the FED Monday morning ??

:eek:

#15     Mar 14, 2008
  6. #16     Mar 14, 2008
  7. nolajy

nolajy

03-14-08 10:28 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from DataCruncher:

I have a question:
    this news story "Bear Stearns Agrees to Secured Loan Facility with JPMorgan Chase"
    hit the dow jones newswire at 9:21am. So why did BSC open in the 50s instead of much lower? why did it start toppling at 9:37am, instead of earlier? I don't see a specific news item that hit the wires at 9:37am
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it actually spiked up at first. people thought it was a good thing until they had second

Look.. people who trade need to learn a few very important mechanics of trading.

1. large money can move the mkts for a short period of time.. i.e. if a hedge fund/institution wants to throw a head fake.. they buy a bunch and spike the price higher.. then as joe public jumps in and buys.. the hedgie sells 3 - 4 x as much and due to the joe public buys.. hedgies get net short at great (high) prices....
    i hope everyone understands this.. short term prices .. day traders.. the price is often manipulated for a few mins.. this is not illegal.. its not a corner etc... it is the game of trading.

i.e. large volume spikes often represent a change in direction..not always but often.

2. after large economic reports or supply reports or company earnings.. there is an old saying"THE FIRST WAY IS THE WRONG WAY!!!!!"

Look back at charts and see my point 1 and 2 at work.. the best way to understand number 1 is too look at markets in teh over night session or in a thinly traded stock. For 2 look at intra day charts on Crude oil on wednesdays and look at intraday stock indexes on fed days.. first way is often (not always) the wrong way.
    Good Luck out there.. there is blood in the streets now.. it is in my opinion time to buy good companies ..good luck

#17     Mar 14, 2008
  8. You are highly ignorant.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6988540.stm

From Sept. 11th, 2007

#18     Mar 14, 2008
  9. can't stop laughing!:D :D :D

#19     Mar 14, 2008
  10. ZBEAR

ZBEAR

Landis,

Brother, the cornerstone of Civilization ..... is MANNERS !

You obviously have something to say..... but don't you know that your opinion will be more well received if you speak as a Gentleman
    .... instead of with Condescending, Demeaning, Bickering, small and cruel words ?

As the great american Will Rogers once said:
    "We are all ignorant....... Just about different things".

......knowing we are ignorant is the foundation of true humility.....
    that's a good thing.

I'm sure as hell ignorant about more things than I am knowledgeable about
    ..... I'm reminded of it everyday of my life.

In the old west ..... when men carried guns....
    everyone minded their manners.
    ..... or else they got plugged.

Think on these simple truths..... I wish you well.

#20     Mar 14, 2008