Guru's pursuit of the Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Journals' started by guru, Aug 26, 2020.

1. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

#91     Aug 25, 2021
  2. guru

guru

Yeah, I have no monetary motivation but really could use $1B :)

I believe a fund trading $1B may be able to double their money within couple years in any market (at least never having a losing year), but could do even better during a market crash, similarly to Taleb/Universa. However, there are still choices to be made, so one person could do better than another, just having the knowledge and choices beyond anyone else. They'll know the answer to every question anyone's ever asked about options, whether hedging, trading earnings, index options on SPX, NDX, DJI, volatility/VIX/VXX/UVXY options, trading equity options on index constituents, healthcare/biotech stock options, options on microcap stocks, etc.

However, I have multiple ways to get there and don't need a single buyer, as the cost can be shared. In fact, I may start by releasing parts of The Holy Grail to the public. May also need to partner up with people smarter than me. Preparing something mind-blowing will take me 6+ months while also giving me time to decide on the best approach.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    #92     Aug 25, 2021
    qlai likes this.
  3. qlai

qlai

Oops, I thought you were joking :) Is it something that you were able to automate (semi-automate)?

#93     Aug 25, 2021
  4. guru

guru

Definitely not joking.
    Automation is not a holy grail (the knowledge is), but it could be a nice add-on. I have things semi-automated but such tech/products are a never-ending ever-evolving projects and fall into different category, while anyone may already have their own automation or people to implement it, but may not know what & how specifically to trade.

#94     Aug 25, 2021
  5. cesfx

cesfx

Can't believe I just saw this journal, thanks for sharing guru

#95     Aug 25, 2021
    guru likes this.
  6. What is considered The Holy Grail in trading? Curious, what your definition or strategy or skill is.
    My personal definition of the Holy Grail skill in trading...is being able to day trade the broad market everyday, the S&P. Use options as plutonium.
    Imagine having that skill to generally, roughly, know when to buy and sell to capture the day's major, single, chart move,
    That would be priceless.

#96     Aug 25, 2021
  7. guru

guru

That's a can of worms, as everyone could argue about what The Holy Grail is and define it differently, just like people discuss various options strategies every day, and argue which one is "best". I don't want to be too arrogant, but I'm now looking at options so differently that I wouldn't have anything to discuss with options traders, or even market makers, as none of us would understand each other...
    But generally for me it is not day trading, because you couldn't easily day trade $1B in options, or be hedged properly, maybe except for market making, or taking risk and trading based on trend/momentum or some TA style. I'm rather looking at longer-term less direction-dependent statistical trades from a few days to a few years.
    And for me, The Holy Grail, may be the understanding that you actually have it, knowing there is everything to know, and not having much else to discover. Not that I'm exactly there, but as an example, I'm re-discovering the same top performing strategies over and over, even when trying to discover new strategies via independent methods, they're all converging onto the same top strategies I've already found previously. This simply tells me there isn't much else I can find beyond what I've already found, and therefore I know everything there is to know :)
    And I'm looking at stuff not only backed by past performance, but also by logical reasons why it works, for example why specific earnings trades work (statistically, not every time), or why & how the top SPX options strategy beats all other SPX strategies and keeps showing up repeatedly in my tests.

#97     Aug 25, 2021
  8. qlai

qlai

@guru, does your method fit my definition of Holy Grail?:
    A system/method that is able to produce consistent risk-adjusted returns regardless of prevailing market conditions and can persist for the foreseeable future.

#98     Aug 25, 2021
  9. guru

guru

That's pretty good, though I'd extend it to thousands of such "systems/methods", with an additional advantage of each being the most optimal (but not overfit, with exceptions) within specific asset class or category and by certain measures, and in some cases by measures of your choosing.

#99     Aug 25, 2021
  10. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

The holy grail of trading is simple: RISK MANAGEMENT.

Example: I had a minor down day today, but just -$220 for 38 stock daytrades, net, including wins and stops. Most were 100-200 shares.
    I wouldn't have done anything differently. No big stops, took plenty of shots. Followed rules.

#100     Aug 25, 2021
    CALLumbus likes this.