GUNS!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by destriero, Aug 15, 2018.

1. You like your toys. 6k for a thermal scope? WTF would you ever use it for? Hunting hogs at night? Pretty cool piece though, I'll grant you that.

When you say 600 yards is a mortar shot, what caliber are you using? I thought the pictured rifle was .308. I've never used one but I thought they were pretty flat out to 600 yards or so. 5.56 obviously not.

I can't get enthusiastic about going to an indoor range and shooting paper targets. It's boring, but still, I know I need the training.

#21     May 3, 2019
  2. Arnie

Arnie

Thanks for the info.
    I missed a Ruger AR on sale for $499 last week. Back up to $799 now.

#22     May 3, 2019
  3. heypa

heypa

Many years ago at a military school I was on the rifle team and at the last competition shot a perfect score. Indoor at 50 feet on modified military '03s chambered for 22s. That was at the four military positions. I only weighed 135 lbs and the standing position was a little difficult as was getting into the correct sitting and kneeling positions. Iron sights with the military sling.That was 100 years ago in 1944.

#23     May 3, 2019
  4. Just be glad those '03's had been modified to shoot .22. The original 30-06 is a big boy load.

#24     May 3, 2019
  5. Unless you are some tactical expert like TT or are going to shoot literally thousands of rounds a year, I really can't see spending any more on an AR. They are commodities now. Sure a Daniel Defense or Bravo Company or LWRC is cool, but it's a lot of money. For most people's use, ie home defense and the occasional range session, the $500 rifle is just fine.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa15-16-nitride-m4-carbine-556-nato-moe-ar15-rifle-black.html

#25     May 3, 2019
  6. Arnie

Arnie

Biggest problem I have is where to shoot. There is only one inside range around here that can handle long rifles. The few gun clubs around here you have to wait years for someone to die for a membership to open up.

#26     May 3, 2019
  7. destriero

destriero

Yeah, I am lucky to live in the Mountains where you can on BLM land. I am diligent about picking up my brass and I shoot only lead-free.

#27     May 3, 2019
    Spooz Top 2 and Tsing Tao like this.
  8. That sucks. Move to Florida. Sarasota county operates its own municipal gun range.

#28     May 3, 2019
    Tsing Tao likes this.
  9. heypa

heypa

Hey Aint My mistake they were 30 06s.I shot one at Camp Dix when I was around in the 7 or 8 grade. Shoot then scoot back up to position to shoot again again. Just a little big for a 90 pound kid. It was on the range don't tell anyone I'd hate to get anyone in trouble.

#29     May 5, 2019
  10. That's some kind of shootin'.

I was on my HS ROTC rifle team and never saw anyone shoot 100 in off-hand. (Maybe the 10-ring was bigger back in your day? :))

#30     May 5, 2019