Guns on campus: Texas poised to pass bill

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Banjo, Feb 21, 2011.

1. and you can anticipate this AND ARM ACCORDINGLY? maybe you might snap at any moment? how am I to anticipate that? what's to prevent that and your armed to the teeth? now what? am i just "collateral damage" now :eek:

#41     Feb 21, 2011
  2. All the would be Jareds of the world will now move to Texas. They're making it easy for them there.

#42     Feb 21, 2011
  3. Blotto

Blotto

Don't these Universities draw funds from public sources? By what right does a public, as distinct from a private, institution have to interfere with the right to bear arms? If the state charters universities to grant degrees, and attendance at the university is a prerequisite to receiving one, then we have a serious constitutional rights issue if universities are to be permitted to interfere with the right to bear arms.

Private shops and malls are a different matter. One can shop somewhere else. If the state has a monopoly on granting permission to issue recognised degrees, and such degrees are close enough to a prerequisite to making a decent living, in addition to being mandatory for those wishing certain professions, one cannot simply choose not to attend a university where guns are banned. Therefore guns must be permitted in universities.

To hold otherwise is to construct a similar argument to those who would say that we have the right to speak, but only with our unaided voice, the right to travel, but only on our own two legs, and freedom of the presses (those owned and operated by an individual, the hand cranked variety), and such freedom extends only to passing leaflets to people in person. Such people seem to accept such fuzzy logic as a justification for allowing the state to regulate the place and time (but not content) of speech, and other such political nonsenses incompatible with liberty.

A college campus is not a special situation. If teachers over the age of 21 employed by a school want to carry there I don't have a problem with that either. State nannying is more of a threat to life and liberty than firearms in private hands, even if we include murders.

#43     Feb 21, 2011
  4. pspr

pspr

Oh no! You are right. Better get yourself a gun just in case. First one to go nuts and starts shooting get blown away by the others. Whew, good thing someone else had a gun besides the nut case.

#44     Feb 21, 2011
  5. Blotto

Blotto

Are they free adults of sound mind, or are they mentally incompetent individuals who have restrictions placed on their freedoms according to the rule of law, which are imposed by recognised judicial authority at a public hearing?

Or do you propose it is proper to remove rights under any other circumstances? If the state or others can arbitrarily interfere with your rights outside of accepted and just processes do you really have those rights? Are you strong enough to keep them? Is your right to life and property any different from your right to bear arms?

#45     Feb 21, 2011

6. was the wild west USA 1850+ a safe place? :eek:

who wants to snap first>?

#46     Feb 21, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I think all 50 (58 by Obama's count) states are under Washington's tyranny.

You mean like religious faith? I thought you were opposed to that, now you want me to have faith in an entity that has failed at or fucked up virtually every undertaking of at least the last 50 years? You poor naive dumb bastard.

There were more murders per ca pita in the big cities of the east than the "wild" west. But by all means don't let the facts ruin your self delusion and ignorance.

#47     Feb 21, 2011
  8. pspr

pspr

I wasn't there but my great grandparents made it through OK or I wouldn't be here. How about yours?

#48     Feb 21, 2011
  9. so its ok with you every drunk in EVERY bar is packing heat? :eek:

as long as he passed the paperwork??? :confused: :eek: :confused:

#49     Feb 21, 2011
  10. pspr

pspr

Just the ones who can get a license. So far I don't hear a lot of stories about licensed carry people going around shooting people in bars.

#50     Feb 21, 2011